• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you guys think? price/condition?

pjo33us

Mine was a good runner that had some surface rust when I got her. Spent tons of hours stripping and filling.

The problem is that once you remove all the trim (there will be rust there!) and all the glass and rubber you will not want to put those crappy pieces back on a freshly painted car.

Now you are talking big money for the paint, rubber, and new trim. And while you are at it, carpet, headliner, 5speed, ... Just know what you are getting in for. After spending over $10K on mine I love the car but I wish I had spent more for a roundie tii up front.

Then again, my car needed me and I was happy to put it back on the road.

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2

Mine was a good runner that had some surface rust when I got her. Spent tons of hours stripping and filling.

The problem is that once you remove all the trim (there will be rust there!) and all the glass and rubber you will not want to put those crappy pieces back on a freshly painted car.

Now you are talking big money for the paint, rubber, and new trim. And while you are at it, carpet, headliner, 5speed, ... Just know what you are getting in for. After spending over $10K on mine I love the car but I wish I had spent more for a roundie tii up front.

Then again, my car needed me and I was happy to put it back on the road.

Right, and you getto know that you built it yourself!

Guys thanks for all your input here... I will probably go look at this car in the next few weeks if it does not sell. If I think i can save it without any serious welding I will make him an offer.

After looking at the interior prices... I think this car is worth $700 for the interior alone.

No offense taken... I appreciate any and all input. I have not owned an 02 in 20 years.

I am sure reality will set in when I go look at it. Have owned 4 Alfas and understand the problems with rust... As you say about the interior, it was a California car so it may will be brittle and cracked.

He also sent me pictures of the towers and they are clean. He states that the rockers are clean as well (did not specify inner or outer).

I was initially concerned that this was somebody's parts car already. The owner states that he has all of the trim work, badges etc as well...

I also realize that I may sound like I am trying to talk myself into this and looking for some sort of validation... not so, there are plenty of 2002s out there and I am willing to wait for a decent starting point. I do expect to do a certain amount of work on any car I get whether it is brakes, an engine rebuild or what have you.

This is quite ironic.

We are trying to talk you out of making the mistakes that we are now glad that we made!

Good luck. Buying that (or any) old car is the start of a journey. You never know where it will lead but it will be expensive and probably worth the trip.

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2

This is quite ironic.

We are trying to talk you out of making the mistakes that we are now glad that we made!

Good luck. Buying that (or any) old car is the start of a journey. You never know where it will lead but it will be expensive and probably worth the trip.

Thanks... I "get it"... I once "restored" a 1985 Alfa GTV6 only to turn around and sell it fpr what i paid for the original car! I realize that an old car is almost never a good financial decsion, but that really is not the point is it?

I assure you guys, I will not buy anything without going to see it and touch it first. I will not buy someomne else's mistake and have it shipped. There are however not that many cars that come for sale in Colorado so I want to look at any that do.

I agree regarding the irony. I bought mine in 2003. Now that I know a lot more, I would have bought an entirely different car. I am not sad nor am I kicking myself. I rescued a very decent car and I have learned a ton in the process. Cheapies are quite tempting, but the smart move is to buy one that has had extensive (i.e. expensive for the p.o.) work done on it by a true '02 fanatic. (not purchased from a used car lot or from a certain bidness in Dallas) If I had bought, say, a super-nice $6,000 squaretail, I'd have saved quite a bit of money over time. I could not convince my wife that an "OLD" car was worth that much, so I was on a tight budget up front.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I agree regarding the irony. I bought mine in 2003. Now that I know a lot more, I would have bought an entirely different car. I am not sad nor am I kicking myself. I rescued a very decent car and I have learned a ton in the process. Cheapies are quite tempting, but the smart move is to buy one that has had extensive (i.e. expensive for the p.o.) work done on it by a true '02 fanatic. (not purchased from a used car lot or from a certain bidness in Dallas) If I had bought, say, a super-nice $6,000 squaretail, I'd have saved quite a bit of money over time. I could not convince my wife that an "OLD" car was worth that much, so I was on a tight budget up front.

I would be in the exact same situation regarding the wife aspect. The idea here is a project. What do you guys think about buying a nice automatic and converting to 5 speed? I have read the threads and know to add about $1000 for parts. This one has been for sale for a very long time on cragslist (the ebay listing has better pics):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230539323646&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

As has this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200541716260&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_742wt_1165

Both of them lok lie they will need a repaint eventually (especially the red er brown one)... Both these cars have been for sale for months.

Automatics are great for 5-speed conversions due to the wider trans. tunnel. Most of us are not sad to see an auto. converted to a 5-speed that's for sure. If you like doing the projects, good for you. Just make sure that most of it involves bolt on parts, not as much in the way of rust repair/welding/sanding/paint. Good luck!!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz