14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Q for those that have oil temp gauges

gwb72tii

I like to see the oil temperature at 210 Fahrenheit. On cool days, I block off a portion of the radiator to get it to that temp. On hotter days (high 90's - 100+), I've seen 235F... and keep driving (but no drafting). All measured at the oil filter housing, synthetic 10-50 racing oil (in the race car). -KB

the temps are gonna differ a lot depending on where the probe is. i had a vdo probe that went in place of the drain plug in the oil pan, that temp was always cooler. i also had a probe that went on the oil filter head from a tii turbo, which has a thermostatic element that controls when oil is sent to the cooler. at first, i was getting temps of around 220, then it would drop slightly, then go up. i could tell that was when the thermostat was opening, sending oil to the cooler. later on, i replaced the arbeits element to a cooler one, and i would get 180-185, then about 200 with a/c on, and cruising above 65 on the freeway.

I have trouble building temp. I'm lucky in the summer to see 120 - 150 F. It was so bad - I switched to an 80 C thermostat.

Temperature sensor is on the back of the cylinder head in a VDO dual unit (temp and pressure).

interesting, I'm also running temp sensor in the back of the head in a VDO dual unit. my temps are always just a bit over 120 F. Radiator = 3-row core similar to Curt Ingram's. Oil = 20/50 Valvoline.

I have trouble building temp. I'm lucky in the summer to see 120 - 150 F. It was so bad - I switched to an 80 C thermostat.

Temperature sensor is on the back of the cylinder head in a VDO dual unit (temp and pressure).

interesting, I'm also running temp sensor in the back of the head in a VDO dual unit. my temps are always just a bit over 120 F. Radiator = 3-row core similar to Curt Ingram's. Oil = 20/50 Valvoline.

this is exactly what is happening to benneton's car

he's wondering if the motor is running too cool, although it runs well as is