14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Newbie!! needs some help...

juanchi29

First off I just wanted to say that this site is really cool and seems like one big family. I did not know Curtis, But from lurking around and reading I can tell he was a stand up guy RIP Curtis. I've been reading a lot of post. I own a E39 bmw 540 and I use to own a E46. I love 2002ti's I always wanted one. I came across one for 2k inka orange un known mileage compression is good on three cylinders one is slightly lower. Interior is in very good condition. Exterior does not have rust but has about 20% of a bad bondo/paint job the rest looks good. I have not actually seen the car but have been talking to the owner a lot. Should I jump on it? does it sound like a good deal? thanks in advance guys.

It might be - it might not be. To me - what you've described is not. A car with rust and engine trouble - the two biggest killers.

My advice - before you get antsy and spend one cent, do a couple of things:

Research. Understand the problems these cars can have. There are some good books out there. Here are two to get you started:

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-02-Restoration-Guide-guides/dp/1855204517/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290047507&sr=8-4

and

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-2002-Comprehensive-Classic-Sporting/dp/1855203340/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290047507&sr=8-5

Then - go look at a bunch of cars. Take pictures. Take notes. Post on the board what you find. Ask questions.

Finally - make sure you can afford to jump into a hobby car. There's a saying in the Porsche world - every Porsche is a $25000 car. It's only a matter of time. I think the same is with 2002's. If you want to make it perfect - every one of them is a 10 to 15,000 car.....

Good luck. have fun. Welcome to the insanity.

Ken

Finally - make sure you can afford to jump into a hobby car. There's a saying in the Porsche world - every Porsche is a $25000 car. It's only a matter of time. I think the same is with 2002's. If you want to make it perfect - every one of them is a 10 to 15,000 car.....

Ken

+1

If you own an E39 540, and used to have an e46, you probably have some money in the bank. I would recommend looking into getting a well sorted car, rather than finding a "cheap, fixer." I probably have over $10k into mine, over many many years of repairs and improvements, but is the car worth $10k? No way. You could find a very nice carb'd driver for around $4k, but if your heart is set on a tii, expect to pay more. Check the cars for sale section of this forum, and go check a few out.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply!. I dont think the engine is in really bad shape I think the compression falls within the good range but I need to test it myself. And its only one cylinder. The car does not have rust present at the moment just a few spots that have a bad paint job because the owner used bondo and painted himself. My shop here in Florida quoted me 1k to redo the heads and port/polish I was thinking of doing that. A few other things under the hood little by little I'm not rich by any means. What do you guys think? Should I just save a little more money and wait? or make this one my project? I just want to stop only putting miles on my 540 was planning on juggling both cars. Thanks in advance.

A subject line relevant to your query might just generate people to have a look and offer an opinion providing the subject is one that they feel their contribution would be of value.

Also I understand bots can crawl mb's and artificially increase views.

And then, what mlytle said.

Cheers,

Ray

I got 32 views and no replies? Come on guys chime in!

Actually, That doesn't look too bad for $2K, from the little that can be seen in those pics. But if there has been enough rust to bodo, then there's a lot more that probably has not been fixed. Floor pans, rockers, shock towers, frame rails, bottom of A pillars. You really haveto crawl around and under to check it out to see what your getting - then decide if $2K is a good price.

Note a new engine is CHEAP compared to extensive body work. Generally, advise is find car with Best body and spend money on the engine rebuild instead. $3000 instead of $10,000

Yeah thats what a buddy of mines was also telling me. That he rather get a clean shell and a jacked up motor any day. I gotta say that I do agree because messing around with a rusty body can be a pita$$$$. I haven't seen the car because the guy is pretty far away I migt go see it this weekend. Now i'm thinking I should wait I want to get the right 2002ti.

Yeah thats what a buddy of mines was also telling me. That he rather get a clean shell and a jacked up motor any day. I gotta say that I do agree because messing around with a rusty body can be a pita$$$$. I haven't seen the car because the guy is pretty far away I migt go see it this weekend. Now i'm thinking I should wait I want to get the right 2002ti.

By they way, you should really be careful about saying '2002ti.' You'll have to get a better a handle on the years/models to know their value.

In brief, there's the plain 'BMW 2002,' which is likely what that car is. They come from the factory with a single downdraft Solex carb, which is usually replaced by a Weber 32/36 carb. These are usually the least valuable cars, especially those from 74-76 that have the big bumpers and square tail lights.

Then there's the '2002tii' that has factory mechanical fuel injection, which gets a lot more power, demands a much higher price, and is much harder to fix for most ordinary mechanics. You'll quite often find the mechanical fuel injection yanked off of a tii and replaced with a cheap carb.

Then there's the '2002ti,' with only one i, that has factory dual sidedraft solex carbs. These are extremely rare in the US, and you're unlikely to find one. They can be priced fairly high as well.

In all cases, you'll likely find sellers just as confused as yourself, and/or dishonest, and they'll claim it's a 2002tii or a 2002ti, when it's really not. Or, there could be any combination of engines or carbs that have been swapped back an dforth over the decades, and the current owner could be clueless if he's never looked into it.