14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

CARBURETOR CAM and EXHAUST UPGRADE

vlados2002

I am planing on upgrading to WEBER 40 DCOE, 292 camshaft and full performance exhaust (IE full system). The big question is: will this set-up provide substential power gains on an otherwise stock engine (stock compression, stock bore pistons)? I read in the BMW 2002 RESTORATION HANDBOOK that it should yield between 130-150 hp.

By the way, I have a 1971 2002 with stock engine and 32/36 Weber carb.

Any information from 2002 experts would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks for your answers. The head has been rebuilt recently and Petronix ignition installed. I think the rest of the engine is in good shape but I will certainly do a compression and leak down test to figure out what the real condition is. I guess the only way to go up to 150hp would be with larger pistons and proper piston top configuration to increase compression....

I was wondering how they compare also.

I was told that they would be easier to tune and give the same if not better results because of the lynx manifold.

for what it's worth when i was 'hot' on this upgrade on my car that's what i was told.

I've really enjoyed having the stock cam in. From what i heard the 292 takes away some of the low end torque which i truly love. so i passed on the whold deal.

now i'm just happy w/a built suspension, electronic ignition and a bigger carb.

Dave

why not do a single 45 dcoe and a lynx manifold vs. the dual 40's?

I was wondering how they compare also.

it would be rally good if somebody with experience on the issue of dual Weber 40's vs single Weber 45 would share their knowledge. Single Weber 45 is about $300 cheaper and it should definitely be easier to tune...