• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really, really, early 02 questions/help

Jbird

Hey guys,

I am going to look at an extremely early 68 02 this week or early next week, and I need some help. I need help compiling a list of things to look for on this car. First to make sure it really is what it is billed to be, but second to make sure it has a good deal of the original items it should have had. i know there were a lot of changes in the first few hundred cars, but if you early 02 guys could help me compile a rough list it would be a great help. I have been restoring these things for a very long time, but you only see these really early ones ever so often. Thanks in advance for any help, and I will keep it updated once I know more.

Thanks,

Jbird

68 2002 #1660013 Lucky # 13
75 2002 M20 swap

Early cars should have : 6 fuse electrical system, long neck diff, mechanical clutch mechanism, silver dollar gauges, no headrests on seats, 1 barrel Solex with mechanical choke, bus style steering wheel, different style drivers door mirror, 4 way flasher switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel and a bunch of stuff I can't recall.

73 2002 Tii Sold

71 2002 Ti Vintage racecar

84 BMW 325 E-Prod racecar Sold

And, we assume, you're taking the span of VINs for that year with you.

Model Series Year From To < VIN > VIN # Built

1600 Pre 71 1967 Sep-67 Dec-67 1-560-001 1-562-153 2153

Pre 71 1968 Jan-68 Dec-68 1-562-154 1-567-530 5377

Pre 71 1969 Jan-69 Dec-69 1-567-531 1-570-704 3174

Pre 71 1970 Jan-70 Dec-70 1-570-705 1-572-399 1695

Pre 71 1971 Jan-71 ?-71 1-572-400 1-572-930 531

Pre 71 1971 ?-71 Mar-71 1-572-931 1-573-162 232

Total 1600's 13162

Also note that that the next model year build began when the factory returned from the summer one-month vacation in August. Thus, 1968 model year began in Sept 1967 and ran thru July of 1968. This occassionally causes some confussion when it comes to registrations in the US.

Bob Napier

I think the inner fenders have different / lesser crumple zones also.

Mechanical clutch linkage (on 1600's anyway).

Chrome dash pieces?

Cool solid metal interior door handles (no plastic inserts).

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I believe all 2002's came with hydraulic clutch, the early 1600 had a mechanical clutch until 1970.

Yes hydraulic clutch but the early pressure plate and 6 bolt crank.

Single line brakes for 1600's and earliest 2002's.

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

US 2002 VINs began with 1660001; the cutoff between 68 and 69 model years was approximately 16624xx, give or take. Thus the VIN will tell the tale of when it was assembled. First US cars were built sometime in February 1968 and began arriving in the US in April. The earliest one I've seen was 1660495.

The really early cars had two piece wheel covers--dog dish hubcaps with aluminum trim rings that snapped in place under the caps. And at least the press cars shown in early magazine road tests had the embossed front hood trim. Side grilles were blacked out with paint, not glued on black appliques. Outside rear view mirror might be mounted on the front edge of the driver's door vs several inches further back.

Valve cover didn't have the horizontal lines -- plain except for the BMW letters and the firing order. Four blade cooling fan.

Connecting links on the trunk lid torsion bar have little plastic caps on 'em--and the links are slightly different from the later cars.

The first few hundred didn't have sway bars, but I wouldn't be surprised if a subsequent owner didn't add 'em. Also these very cars had (supposedly) mechanical clutch linkages. The '68s also had a separate rservoir for the clutch hydraulic fluid when hydraulic clutch linkages were fitted.

Red center tail light lenses on all 68 and 69 US cars. But remember, all US 2002s were assembled after 1 Jan 1968, so would have had all the applicable US safety and emission requirements then current: seat belts, dulled chrome trim in the driver's vision line (wiper blades, for example), a breakaway interior mirror, etc.

When you go to look at the car, take plenty of pictures and notes, and especially note the VIN and engine number and let us know whatcha find.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks so much everybody. I have a pretty good list going now, between your help and looking at a few customers cars. I am hoping to get away tomorrow and look at and purchase the car. I have already committed to buying the car pending an inspection. I have already been given the VIN which I have go verify, but suffice it to say there are no worries about it being a 68 if the number is indeed what it is billed to be. I am reluctant to say more until I have confirmation (and ownership paperwork), but I should have pictures to post tomorrow. I can solve one discrepancy, above. The very early 68's did indeed have mechanical clutches. This car does and i have worked on at least 2 other 02's with mechanical clutch over the years. Wish me luck, and I will be sure to make another post in the coming days about how everything worked out, and hopefully post some pictures of my new project.

75 2002 M20 swap

Went and verified the VIN today and purchased the car. VIN # 1660013. It has some rust in the roof, near the sunroof, that is going to make for some interesting repairs, and the floors/tunnel are pretty rough. Typical body damage, and lame filler work from past "restorations." Nothing that I am afraid of. The car came with tons of spares, endless amounts belt line trim, under dash panels, so much stuff it will probably take me a week just to lay it all out and make sense of it. Once I do though, it will all be in the for sale section. I am going to be looking for a good three piece dash, early door cards, 68 trunk lid etc. I have a dead 72 that's not really worth saving and will likely be the donor for the metal. i am going to try and post some pictures, but I never seem to have great success doing so on this forum.

Pics are also here: http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/HeritageMotorsports/Lucky13/

75 2002 M20 swap