Roundie headlight grill questions

jgerock

Test fit one H4 Hella headlight and one of the "narrow" grills I have in the garage and notice it looks a little odd.

H4 installed without the grill

IMG_4945.jpg

Test fitting one side

IMG_4956.jpg

IMG_4954.jpg

Where does this "filler" piece go? I was thinking it somehow fits between the grill headlight surround and the light itself, but it would flop around. Then I thought it fits under the lip of the headlight chrome piece.

IMG_4948.jpg

Also, my headlight connectors look crusty and there seems to be a missing wire. Any ideas where that missing wire goes? I was thiinking of buying the headlight relay wiring kit from Daniel Stern Lighting. Wonder if the kit includes the 3-prong connector.

IMG_4953.jpg

Jim, the filler does fit inside the front lip of the headlamps retraining ring. I somehow aquired four pair of headlight buckets, half of which were with these eyelids. They clip right into the ring.

Thanks! I guess the thickest part of the filler ring goes toward the center of the car (pointing about 1 o'clock if looking straight into the headlight)??

The headlight rim you show separately is part of a rim that goes with the deep grilles. Those rims are asymmetrical, while the rims used on the shallow grille are symetrical -- and are identical to those used on squarelights except they're chrome instead of powdercoated black.

You need to adjust the location of your headlight buckets--with grilles installed first--until the headlight is centered in the grille opening--and yes they look a little bug-eyed, especially if you're used to the more common deep grille setup.

cheers

mike

The headlight rim you show separately is part of a rim that goes with the deep grilles. Those rims are asymmetrical, while the rims used on the shallow grille are symetrical -- and are identical to those used on squarelights except they're chrome instead of powdercoated black.

You need to adjust the location of your headlight buckets--with grilles installed first--until the headlight is centered in the grille opening--and yes they look a little bug-eyed, especially if you're used to the more common deep grille setup.

cheers

mike

Now I am confused. So the thin filler piece is used with the "deep" aluminum grills?

Here is a photo I took of a '71 and I don't see the filler piece.

84f4ba4f.jpg