14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

KYB shocks

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello, I have a crappy BMW 2002 but it is my daily driver. I have terrible shocks at the moment. The entire car goes up and down going straight down a smooth road. And if there is a bump....I hold on to the steering wheel real tight while the rest of my body is thrown up onto the ceiling. I still take hard right hand corners when I can because it is so much fun except when I reach half way through the turn and realize it won't make it! The left side shocks are in better than the right sides.

Anyway, I love my 2002 despite all it's crappyness. I need to change shocks and don't want to spend on bilsteins. Besides I will never go to tracks and don't care how my car looks. I just want the thing to drive normal.

Anyone have experince with KYB's?

Guest Anonymous

Phil, they are so cheap it will almost be impractical to pay shipping for them.

BTW, how did they feel when you had them on your 02?

Boge's are much more expensive than a KYB set.

I have some KYB gas-adjust rear shocks with cut suspension techniques springs. They have been on the car for 8 years and ~50k miles. They're honestly not that bad. I will be removing them soon to install some Konis. If you want them -- and they're still okay when I remove them -- I will consider sending them to you for the cost of shipping. This would be for the rear only. My front struts (old Boge Turbo Gas) are toast.

I put a set on my '69's front some years ago and they were shot at 35k miles. I have Bilsteins on my 73 with over 130k miles and can't tell the difference between them and the 15k Bilsteins on my 69. If you don't drive the car that much then KYBs would be OK, but I wasn't impressed with their longevity at all. Maybe they're better now...

mike