• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator bracket source and radiator question

Blackbeard55

Hi Guys,

I know some people get very upset when repetition repetition occurs on the forum so kindly disregard if you are simply not interested in answering or whatever but in any case I have done a bunch, like lots of searches.

In any case here are the questions:

1. Does anyone know of a source for the necessary brackets for a 318i alternator upgrade? Have the alternator need the brackets and other hardware such as bushings and bolts and quick adjust nuts, etc.

Somehow I ended up with the right alternator but the wrong brackets.

2. As I understand the 320i radiator has a bung that can be used for an electric fan control switch. I was going to order a 12' fan from the FanMan but I also wanted to order the wiring with the switch (make it easier on myself) and the switches come in 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch. Does anyone know the correct size? have a radiator ordered but just trying to get the rest of the stuff ordered at the same time.

3. Is the 195 F switch the correct switch to order. I assuming that is right since the thermostat should be 80 C? Am I wrong here.

Thanks all that can forgive my repetitive behaviour. Have not been doing this as long as you guys.

JC

2007 335i coupe

1975 2002 MS etc.

Hi TJF,

Well it would seem like we should be able to get a response here on these questions. From what I have read it seems like the 320 radiator upgrade is common so others must have gone through all this also.

Thanks for the response, lets see what we get,

JC

2007 335i coupe

1975 2002 MS etc.

Having a sender on the radiator may not be the best idea as people have noted before. If you're taking the temp low on the radiator, your fan may not be kicking on as early as you need it to due to the coolant beeing cooler down there.

Other options include running an additional sender up by the one that controls your temp gauge. You'll need the tii water neck and heater bypass setup for this I beleive however, which is what I run due to DCOE's.

Regarding the alternator bracket, what's wrong with using the stock one? I"m running an alternator off an 88 530 and all I had to do was grind down the alternator bushings a bit to make it fit inside the stock bracket.

Both are visible in the following pic, although the sender is kinda hiding under all the braided stainless lines.

IMG_1802.jpg

HTH

BD

"Having a sender on the radiator may not be the best idea as people have noted before. If you're taking the temp low on the radiator, your fan may not be kicking on as early as you need it to due to the coolant beeing cooler down there.

Other options include running an additional sender up by the one that controls your temp gauge. You'll need the tii water neck and heater bypass setup for this I beleive however, which is what I run due to DCOE's. "

Thanks Big Dog, I thought that there was a place on the 320i radiator for a fan switch. I have not seem the radiator yet. Maybe I should wait until I see it. But you are right near high makes sense.

JC

2007 335i coupe

1975 2002 MS etc.

BLUNT from the board can get oem stuff for you. Other vendor links here also...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_bookmarks/Itemid,66/mode,0/catid,7/navstart,0/search,*/

Cheers,

Ray

Thanks Chris, never even thought about it. Will check with my local dealer. I am sure that will be expensive.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I like the idea of using the bottom of the radiator as the sensing location to control the fan. Makes more sense to me than sensing the temperature exiting the head. I am not planning in using a temperature switch in my application though, but an actual temperature sensor so I can figure out the desired on/offf settings.

Sensing the temp as the coolant leaves the head does not seem to account for differing amounts of airflow through the radiator (sitting in traffic versus going down the highway) and hence the amount of cooling provided without the fan running.

Well Mr. MLyttle, Sir, you can always count on the coasties. Used to think only on the water and as an avid sailor I really do appreciate your presence, but I think also on this website. You have answered my questions more than a dozen times. I know it gets repetitive but sometimes the answer is hard to find for us "relatively new to the life style."

Thanks,

and I think I will contact Mr. Blunt on both counts he sounds like he can get ahold of most anything.

JC

2007 335i coupe

1975 2002 MS etc.