General engine rebuild questions

tigerman99515

Engine on my 1976 2002 is in shop to get rebuilt. No major problems. This is part of a complete restoration project that my son and I are doing.

Any suggestions on increasing airflow to engine at this point?

We want to keep it pretty basic but we are up for some upgrades that won't break the bank.

Car is in 'Project Blog' as "Father Son 1976"

Thanks

Tiger

The stock 2002 head flows quite well. So just cleanup and

port match at the street level.

If it's a 'driver,' then I agree, a bit more cam lift and duration,

a 38/38 to start (sidedrafts can be a later project)

and a bit of exhaust. Bigger diameter pipe after the y

does seem to help (2 ish)

If you're buying pistons, 9:1 isn't a bad target.

t

Don't bother port matching, you'll need to dowel your intake manifold and line it up exactly the same every time it is removed or the port matching was useless. If you insist on port matching, do the intake side only - matching the exhaust will ruin your exhaust reversion and cause over scavenging. Polishing doesn't do anything, just makes the customer feel good. Smoothing will have an effect, clean up and large bits of scuzz that will upset flow. Stay away from the venturi, and the seats. The best porting you could do would be to open up the backside of the bowl, but it's really not worth the time or money, especially on a street car. If you have extra heads laying around to try different things out on and a flowbench to check the work plenty of money for labor, or someone already has a known good porting regimin for your head, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, leave the head as it is. I'd stick to improvment in other areas such as the carb and exhaust. A good 4-2-1 stepped header will be good on the street (won't lose as much low end and a 4-1), and a 38/38 with maybe a 292 cam will make for a fun and reliable car.