EFI 91 Fuel Pump ID and questions

josh72ooh2

I came across this fuel pump which was from a '91 BMW. I'm not sure what '91 it came from aside from it being a convertible.

It looks like the length is the exact same at the '71 pump in regards to the upper mounting seal down to the bottom of the pick-up 'foot'.

The float seems just a tad shorter on the '91 pump so i'm sure the gauge will be off (as mentioned in ALL the EFI conversion articles) but it looks like it will still pick up the gas at the bottom of the tank based on it's length.

Will this '91 pump work by itself when doing the 318 EFI conversion or will it need the additional high pressure fuel pump?

Thanks.

-Josh

post-17221-13667633618295_thumb.png

post-17221-13667633625474_thumb.png

Hi Josh,

i don´t know, if your pump is the small or the big in-tank-pump.

I´ve removed the old pump and put in the E36 fuel-pump.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Fuel-Pump-E30-E36-OEM-Replacement-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ada1afbdcQQitemZ390206258140QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The E36 pump is a little bit shorter, so you have to replace the adaptor against a fuel hose.

I use unly the E36 fuel pump for my 2,3l M10.

Best regards from north germany,

Matze

+1 on the HP pump. It's the one I have been using for 3 years. Picked up 2 used ones for spares (check out ok). The + terminal, per my markings is on the left as you face the pump terminals. Wired in reverse the pump will blow air in the tank, not pump. To check out the pump, I pump thru the fuel rail with the injectors and fuel reg attached into a can to check for good flow at 3 bar pressure.

The low pressure one has a much shorter motor.