WOT: Anyone ever used Cygwin? (more)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone here has ever used Cygwin (Cygwin is a UNIX environment for Windows)? What did u like or dislike about it?

Lyle

Guest Anonymous

I was very impressed. It is a good alternative to going completely unix/linux. We aren't allowed to have Linux machines in the lab where I work because the computer staff is completely unreasonable. Instead, we have OLD Sun machines that aren't up to the task... so we used Cygwin for a while. (Now we've just smuggled a monster Linux box into a corner of the lab - problem solved :) ) If you have to run some Unix apps or something, go for it. What do you want to use it for? Do you have a specific purpose?

You can try it out and see if you like it. It's completely free (as in beer), and you can always uninstall it.

Guest Anonymous

My company produces software for the games industry, and our build environment uses Cygwin MAKE facilities. It's great because it's free, works pretty well, basically you're running linux within a Windows box--but at least in the past, some linux features were missing. What do you want to use it for?

Mike