Anything interesting about 1970 2002's?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My dad has a 1970 2002 that he is going to turn over to me. He's had the car since about 1980 and has kept it in good shape mechanically, but the body and interior will need a lot of work.

From reading this and other 2002 websites, I've noticed that 1970 2002s are not mentioned very often. Does anyone know anything interesting about the 1970 model year? Just curious.

Guest Anonymous

1970 is a good year - nothing weird or hard to get, mechanically - plus you get the short svelte bumpers!

Square taillight cars (1974-76) are more plentiful, but the 70 is a cool one!

If this is your first car (you said you were getting it from your father - so I'm assuming you're fairly young?) Congratulations! An 02 was my first car and I've never looked back after 10 more of them!

Paul

MAximill...

Guest Anonymous

My early '71 is essentially the same as a 1970, and my dad passed it on to me about a year ago -- he had bought it new.

The early years of the 2002 aren't mentioned as much simply because they aren't as common. The car didn't really take off in the States until later.

But they're still great cars -- a bit less power (single-barrel carb) but lighter than the ones that followed. They're "cleaner" looking with short bumper ends and no lower bodyside moldings, and there's more chrome in the interior. The seats also tend to hold up better on the early cars, from what I understand, but it sounds like yours might have suffered anyway.

The seatbelts are a weak point, as the originals are horrid from an ergonomic standpoint. There's a fairly easy way to retrofit retractable seat belts using the stock mounting points, but it's better to weld new mounting points into the pillars and do it right. I plan to redo mine sometime in the near future.

Otherwise, the early cars have a few quirks because they were less standardized than the later ones, so some modifications take a bit more time or creativity (like adding intermittent wipers). That said, they're still lots of fun and are closer to the way the bodystyle was originally designed.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, either via email or on the board. I don't know much, but I'm glad to share my limited experience. That also goes for others here who are much more knowledgeable than I am -- you're in a good place!

-Dave

Colorado '71

Guest Anonymous

I've got a late Series I '69 and a '70 (both sunroofs) - only difference I've noticed other than the well-known brake/driveline/grill changes that took place with the Series I to Series II change-over on 1/1/69 are the ribs in the tray area of the dashboard, and a fuel return line.

Guest Anonymous

I used to drive this same 2002 (the one my dad is passing along to me) sometimes in high school in the early 80s. Back then, I did not understand what a unique car it was. Should be fun to drive it again.

Guest Anonymous

These cars have really started to get attention over the last 2-3 years, and I see many more people going all the way in restoring them and maintaining them once again - Hooray!

As long as the bodywork / rust doesn't scare you (those things can get frightfully expensive to repair) they're great, durable, fun, little cars. Just don't drive it in road salt, or little German dwarfs will drain your bank account while you're asleep as punishment! besides...it's just bad Karma to subject an 02 to winter road salt.

Post some photos! We'd love to see it!

Paul

Guest Anonymous

buddy2.jpg

...and you can still add all the bells and whistles of modifications to it just like the later cars. What could be better?

If you're in the Monterey CA area, my car has a bunch of suspension upgrades and engine mods, since yours sounds like it's completely stock, you're welcome to take mine for a test spin to see if you want to go the upgrade route before you get started on your blank canvas...

welcome to the addiction...

-s

'70 '02

Guest Anonymous

...you're not getting all "Land Rover" or "Jaguar" on us are you???

I've never heard of our cars having "series" designations like that before.....please tell me more. If I've been in the dark all this time - it would be great to know!!!

Very interested!

Paul

MAximill...