14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

1600 upgrade

temujin

well i am thinking about changeing the motor in my 1600 to a 2002 so i can get more power, just was hopeing to get alitttle help from the gurus out there.what is need to swap from a 1600 motor to a 2002, any electrical changes,clutch chnages,ect mounting brackes. any info would be great its a 1970 1600. also is one year better than another for motors for the swap. thnks tim

well i am thinking about changeing the motor in my 1600 to a 2002 so i can get more power, just was hopeing to get alitttle help from the gurus out there.what is need to swap from a 1600 motor to a 2002, any electrical changes,clutch chnages,ect mounting brackes. any info would be great its a 1970 1600. also is one year better than another for motors for the swap. thnks tim

I've done this on two cars. It's really a simple swap. The engines share the same architecture and basic dimensions, so you shouldn't have a problem.

1. Find yourself a good 2L motor. There are a lot of variations to search (use the "Forum Search") between heads and pistons, but they are all basically the same. Just find a running 2002 motor and rebuild it.

2. No modifications for mounting and the electrics are basically the same.....distributors are not compatible.

3. The exhaust is bigger on a 2002, so swap to the 2002 manifold, resonator and muffler.

4. Your carb linkage will change, but you should be using a Weber anyway.

5. The heater box input and output are smaller on the 1600. Either swap the heater boxes altogether to the bigger 2002 unit or clamp down harder on the hose.

If your 1600 is a 1970 you should have a short neck diff and the same driveshaft as any 2002 with a short neck diff (Mid 69-76).

This will make your swap easier since you only need to swap the engine. You have to use the 2002 clutch assembly (Pick between 228mm or 215mm).

You should also swap the final drive or diff for the 2002 3.64 diff. The 1600 has a 4.10 diff. If you use the 4 speed trans with a 2002 engine and a 1600 4.10 diff, you will drastically reduce your top speed in any gear. The 1600 can handle the higher revs a lot better than the 2002 because the 1.6L motor has a very short piston stroke. The 2002 will hate the 4.10 diff unless you install a 5 speed overdrive transmission. If you don't, your car will feel very uncomfortable above 50mph in 4th.

2002 short neck diffs are very common and easy to find.

You should also switch to a 2002 speedometer when you switch to the 3.64 diff, otherwise your 1600 speedo will be reading about 10mph too slow.

Slavs

wow thank you for all the info, just need to find a good 02 motor. yea i dont really need a heater in hawaii its hot all the time.

hawaii? wow. i had a white 71 1602 when i lived there, and put a 2l motor in it, my father drove it for a long time, and then it was sold. i put ti(9.3:1) pistons in it. it was easy, and the 4:11 rear is nice for pali hwy. we lived in lanikai

should i buy a new clutch (2002) for the swap or just take the one out of the 2002?

i would put new if i was doing it, that way you dont have to bother with it for a long time. if you can afford it, and if they make it, look for a fidanza or aluminum flywheel. even better, if you can find it, is to run the 215 setup, but get the sachs performance lightened cover. it is kinda spendy, i remember selling a few of them. the 215 lightened also has increased clamp load, so it can easily handle the load. if you know gerard simoes, who owns motorwerks in kalihi, he is a long time 2002 guy. a while ago he found a 71 with 31k original miles on it, all stock, original owner. i think he still drives it to work, and he also lives in kailua.