point gap and rotating engine by hand?

flyingfool

Point gap is .016 in although my personal preference is a little wider say .020 .Now with the car in neutral,you can grab the fan belt to turn the engine watch your fingers now,or if your car is on a level surface put it in second, grab the wind shield pillar(with door open)move car back or forward with rocking motion til the points block is on the highest part of the dist. cam to adjust it helps to have an assistant do the rocking of the car if you have back problems or something

Guest Anonymous

put it in 4th and move it with your knee against the front of the tire well opening in the fender. It's even easier to turn over if u remove the spark plugs.

when I sent that last night the little man in my head was saying"what if he has an auto trans."I thought back;"naw what are the odds" well if they have an auto trans.this is where they`ll be asking! you can try a 30mm socket on the crank pulley but maybe do the fan belt pull with plugs out w car in neutral

0.016"

02IGNITIONTIMING.jpg

and of course the timing changes everytime

you alter the point gap so invest in

a timing light, today.

remove all spark plugs and you can hand

turn the motor with your hands on the

alternator belt/waterpump pulley - turning

clock-wise as you look at the front of

the motor - counter clock-wise if your

sitting in the drivers seat

02timingmarkandheadboltsequence.jpg

clean all the old guck out of the advance plate

and point cam. Add a few drops of motor

oil under the felt pad in the center of the shaft.

twist the shaft right and left many times to

feel for free mechanical advance movement and

spring return to retarded position.

apply light dab of point cam grease to the point

rubbing block and to the cam. rotate motor to

check even smearing of the point cam grease.

don't over do it, no grease, too much grease

and wrong grease will foul the points,

wear out the rubbing block

5700002005.jpg

FT1V4.gif

You can just loosen the distributor and rotate it until the points are open to the max. After a the adjustment rotate it back to the original position and proceed with the timing adjustment.

That is how I always did it, so much easier. Now I have a Crane, so no more points to mess with.