• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RE: 7" True HID European conversion kit BMW 2002 Tii &a

Essem.w

Finally a meaningful update! Production is underway and the first of the batch is expected to arrive mid December. There are already several orders for these so expect to see install pictures on multiple models of vehicles around Christmas time! :) While I was hoping to have this rolling many months ago I'm very excited to be this close to something tangible.

Check out the original thread for updates:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,328629/highlight,hid/

My Audi A4 has the blue xenon HID lights and they throw great light and look cool on that car, but xenons just look rediculous on cars the factory never offered them on.....especially old cars like 02s, it just takes that classic look away.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

As long as you stick with 4300K it doesn't look that bad, 6000K is quite blue imho.

I've switched to 3000K at the moment (I needed spare bulbs anyway and I wanted to try something different) and I like the look.

3000K1.JPG

Cut-off and glare are horrible in these cheap clear lights, so they're aimed extremely low (which solves the glare issue, but it pretty much defeats the purpose of a switch to xenon)

I'm currently figuring out a way to use some ebay bi-xenon projectors in original headlights (with fluted glass, as long as you mount the projector as close to the glass as possible it doesn't seem to affect the cut-off and output that much)

1975 1602

M42 turbo swap in progress

Not sure why you'd need more light than a Hella H-4 setup, not to mention at the cost of HID these days!!!

Besides the old Hella's look appropriate for our vintage, and their lenses are simply the best at casting a great pattern for low beams.

Of course, modern technology is cool, but at what cost?

BD

Hella H-4 80/100

Those Apexconehid.com kits were discussed in the other thread. You cannot simply plop an HID bulb and ballast in a standard housing! you'll seriously upset other drivers and the police. The light spread of HID lighting is completely different from a standard halogen bulb.

The reason the kits I'm proposing are in the 300 dollar range is because they have been design fully to efficiently use HID type lighting in a 7" headlamp lens so that users can drive around with confidence that they are NOT a mobile road hazard.

While the allure of saving money is a powerful force, please don't put other people and yourself at risk to save $200. I'm sure most of us wouldn't think of putting $20 retreads on our cars....

Personally I've wanted a crisper light in all my classic cars for the last 10 years, now people that have the same desire can get the look and performance in a very fairly priced package.

That's why it took us so long to get this going, we knew that most classic drivers that wanted updated lighting technology didn't want to compromise the looks of their precious with cheap looking headlights. By using the clear lens with the projector we can hide most of fancy tech. Sure you can see it's a projector light but have you seen the other 7" retrofit lenses? They seriously look like bulbous bug eyes...no thanks. Not only that but in these kits you can choose the temperature of your bulbs to get a very close to stock look.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started a thread on bimmerforums.

I am converting my 2002 by adding hi quality bi-xenon hid projectors in clear lens, 7" round fixtures for my 2002. This is a dyi thread I will post more photos and instructions as I go.

I just completed my Mercedes Sprinter, it was challenging but the lighting improvement is amazing, 3 images on the hid planet website and also a whole thread on Sprinter forum, "NCV3 lighting upgrades".

• 1 month later...