14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

door alignment problem

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

can some tell me how to adjust my drivers side door? It is sticking out at the bottom about a 1/4". Ive tried the door stricker and no luck. Anybody? Thanks

remove inner door panel...there are 3 each 13mm bolts on the inside hinges, inside the door...loosen the bottom set and adjust...it help to have a helper..the door gets heavy and is difficult to move just that little bit needed and re-tighten the bolts at the same time

If it is sticking out, and not down, it's actually a bit of a pain-

you'd have to shim the hinge to suck it in

(the bolts go through the door and into the hinge. Thus, to get it

IN, you effectively shim the hinge OUT... it'll make more sense when you look at it)

But Esty's right- you get to take the door apart.

There WERE a run of replacement BMW doors that were bent from manufacturing-

Mike McCartney's book details the odd but effective way to square them up.

hth,

t

• Thanks 1

When I adjusted mine I didn't need to completely remove the door panel. I only left the top edge of the panel on (along window) and reached up to the bolts from a creeper. I'm sure adjusting the door would be much easier without the door panel on but I managed and it really wasn't that bad. Hands were not available at the time so the helper I used was a car jack with a folded towel to protect the door from damage. Not much force at all is needed from jack, it only needs to support door while you loosen/tighten door. Doing it in this way you don't have to start all over again everytime you loosen the door.