14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

BMW 1600 Wiring Woes 6v

I bought that 1967 beauty last week and have been slowly working out some issues the car has. When I bought it the 6 slot fuse box was corroded up, and nothing worked. I cleaned it up and got the rear back up lights turn signals and rear parking lights to work.

I have been cleaning every ground I see. For the life of me I can't get the horn or headlights to work. I put a test light on the wiring to the horn and there is current. I even tried touching the brass ring to a ground bolt on the steering column and still nothing. It is an aftermarket horn. Is it time to order a new horn????

My next issue is with the headlights. They will not go on at all. I put a test light on them and I get nothing.

The horn may have a small tension-type adjustment on it, for tone. Anyway I'd try introducing voltage to it and smacking it with a screwdriver handle (or the like) at the same time.

Check the high beam switch on the column too. If that is out, you'll have no headlights.

GL,

Ray

1968 was the official change from 6V to 12V. I know since my car has been in the family since original purchase that Mine was never a 6V. The wiring diagram for a 12V doesn't match. My wiring matches the 6V diagram, but has all 12V components. Both 6 volt and 12V had 6 fuse systems.