Questions about repairing a cracked Supersprint header

dubois

Please see attached pictures. I lost one of the bosses that tightens the secondary to the primary, there is also a small crack that developed from the missing boss.

I would like to have someone tig weld the primaries to the secondaries and eliminate the bosses and any possibility of exhaust leaks. Is that possible, from the stand point of removing the header as an assembly.

Or should I take everything apart, weld the missing boss, repair the crack and put it back together?

Should this be heat treated to make sure that it doesn't crack again.

I would much rather replace the piece, but I doubt it is available

Lastly, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of exhaust leak, judging by the lack of black soot, search indicated that these joints are notorious for leaking though...

What is your take on all this?

post-154-13667633394462_thumb.jpg

Not sure what the whole thing looked like...as a part is missing, but If I was repairing that piece I'd "stress relieve" it prior to doing the weld. In other words, I'd get it good and hot prior to welding, weld it and let it cool down nice and slow.

Perhaps a call or email to Supersprint for their advice would be best.

Guest Anonymous

and you underneath it or being bent over for long periods of time trying to install the nuts to secure the flanges to the head simply repair the missing boss. It is pretty much impossible to install the headers onto the head if the two primaries are connected to the secondary piece.

shermanmartinez@hotmail.com

Check for Malaga and Polaris soot also.

;-)

GL,

Ray

You crack me up! as compared to the gray ashy soot from a lean engine my soot is always black! LOL

Going back to subject, it sounds like I will be removing that section and have it tig welded by a pro. Not looking forward to this...

In my opinion that is an inherently weak clamping design. As you tighten the bolt it puts a lot of stress at the base of the each of the welded little pieces and they are only welded to very thin metal. If you're going to get it repaired suggest they weld a reinforcing strap of a little thicker wall tubing around the base tubing and try a get a large fillet at the base of the bolt area. Easy fix would be something like http://www.streetperformance.com/part/borla/exhaust-clamp/110743-18006.html

In my opinion that is an inherently weak clamping design. As you tighten the bolt it puts a lot of stress at the base of the each of the welded little pieces and they are only welded to very thin metal. If you're going to get it repaired suggest they weld a reinforcing strap of a little thicker wall tubing around the base tubing and try a get a large fillet at the base of the bolt area. Easy fix would be something like http://www.streetperformance.com/part/borla/exhaust-clamp/110743-18006.html

+1 on the clamp for the reason stated above.