Dead Battery? Or Other Problem?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

1974 BMW 2002, sahara tan

(not tii)

Have been having trouble turning over the car recently. I thought it was just cuz of the outside temperature change (I have been starting it early in the mornings).

But tonight I tried to start the car after it had been only sitting for an hour and I barely got it to start. It sounded like a dying battery to my ears, but I'm a bit of a novice. I turned the key three or four times and it just made a small sound / attempt. Sounded like a lack of juice from the battery. I finally gave it gas and it started.

Then after letting it sit at home for another hour I just tried to start it and NOTHING. No sound what so ever. I didn't leave the lights on, nothing to drain the battery. The red light with the letter "L" has been coming on lately and I read that has to do with the battery charge, but I have never had this problem. Nothing remotely close to this. It's always attempted to start even if I've had to gas it to really turn over.

Do I need a new battery?

What else could it be?

Just bought the car in early Oct. so I don't have much history with it.

Thanks!

Alex

Guest Anonymous

start by cleaning the connections to the battery and the grounds from the battery to the engine and the body. Also the plug on the back of the alternator.

Unless the battery is under warranty, there is no point throwing another in when that may not be the problem. Lots of parts places will check your battery and charging system for free, but the quality of their advice can be variable. May be go to two and see if what they say is the same.

start by cleaning the connections to the battery and the grounds from the battery to the engine and the body. Also the plug on the back of the alternator.

Unless the battery is under warranty, there is no point throwing another in when that may not be the problem. Lots of parts places will check your battery and charging system for free, but the quality of their advice can be variable. May be go to two and see if what they say is the same.

+1

in all the years of various battery related troubles, most often its been the battery post connections are corroded.

only once has it been a bad battery