17" to big?

Pancake

I'm torn on these. My friend is finally giving up on his old project E30 and would make me a sweet deal on these wheels. They look good on the car, but that's a lot of wheel for an 02.

downsize-2.jpg

They've got good Falken Azenis on them right now, and I can justify the extra weight/tire (this is my S52 swap frankencar). I was planning on running Tire Rack spec E30 15" wheels originally, but I can get these for less. The car will be lower than in the pics (that's stock suspension and no engine/tranny in it), so it won't "float" so much.

So basically is that wheel just too big for the car?

Usually I would stay away from anything more than 15" but those wheels look okay.

Other than aesthetics, I generally don't like big wheels due to the excess weight. But if those wheels are light weight, have the proper offset, and you like them -- I don't see a really compelling reason for not running them.

Yep. I'm going with a US spec S52B32. Only 240 HP, none of the spiffy parts of the eruo S50, but a lot simplier (single VANOS) and importantly smaller on the intake side. Things are going to get tight around the booster/MC, so for once a US spec S52 is actually a good thing. I'm close to dropping the engine in, just need to get a E34 pan/sump on it. Don't expect a running/driving car until Spring though.

Yeah, I'm not sold on the wheels, that's why I'm asking the fourm. They are pretty big. Part of it is also the tire that's on there, but to make them fit better would mean going to a 35 sidewall. Both my wallet and my kidneys cringe at the thought of doing that, since I'm already going to be running semi-race suspension.