Rear Koni shocks and front strut question...

Rev.Bubba

I had help removing the rear suspension on one of the 1800ti's this past weekend and confirmed that the rear shocks are Koni's. I also have Koni's on the other but I need help figuring out the front struts. I never knew them to be painted orange like the rear shocks but I don't see how they could be anything but standard. Any help would be appreciated. Let me know what you think. I plan on sending a set of Koni's back to have rebuilt. I assume it is worth it. Not sure if I need to keep the other set or not.

Cheers,

Rev.

post-1851-13667633314061_thumb.jpg

post-1851-1366763331511_thumb.jpg

Been a long time , but in the late 70's early 80's Koni sold the orange ones like on your car and also there was available at that time an RED set, the Red ones were great, they would realy help the rear of the car more so than the front. To make clear in my opinion the front Koni was little to no improvement over the original Boge brand, but the rear shocks were well worth doing as you could FEEL the improvement!

I cannot for the life of me recall the difference between KONI Red or orange?

Gabriel at one time also made shocks for the 1800 but you were better off with the Boge brand. Too soft.

If intent is to keep the car and realy enjoy it, go with KONI, I almost hate to ask about price as 30 years ago they (Koni) were very expensive!

Jon

I guess my confusion is more based on the limited knowledge of the early NK's. Both of mine are 1965 1800ti's and I thought all the earlier NK's only had full front struts and not struts with inserts. Am I wrong? I would like to think so considering what I have seen advertised including the link above. Classicgarage.com also has an equally confusing listing and searching the older nkbmw.com forum reveals others having issues with installs on what is sold to be for the early models.

I would love to think I could send them back to be rebuilt for front and back. If at all possible. I also wonder if it is worth it. I will be soon be powder coating all the sub frame pieces and getting everything ready over the winter. Just need to figure if this needs to be part of the budget or not.

Thanks,

Rev.

As per the factory manual, all 1500-1600-and all marks of the 1800 used inserts.

Up to vin # 917583 the insert was longer than later cars, per the manual original part # for either of your cars is "FTOS-32". Not finding either the correct BMW or Boge number as such, so I assume this is the original Boge number (this is an guess). Does it say that on your housing???

It's funny, starting on page F-20 there is an 5 page winding report on just how to rebuild your own strut insert! Special tools are of course mentioned!

There are many specs in the manual for do-it-yourselfers including (a) travel, (B) extending way © telescoping way and to top it all off (d) R.P.M!!!!!!!! LOL!

I have no real idea of what is available today, but depending on your plans with the car, I would not hesitate to get either new Konis or have them rebuilt, if in fact they can be.

That is good to know. I am happy to no longer have that much of a false idea about the suspension. Lots to learn.

I will better clean the housing and get all the identifying marks to see.

I guess I just need to better identify the front inserts I have. If they are Koni's all around, I would love to just send them back to be rebuilt. I have read too many posts of people stating that what they have ordered, did not fit. There appears to be a mark/numbers on the top orange ring of the strut. I will attempt to determine that.

Are any of you running Koni's up front?

Thanks to you all for the help. Now, I need to see how to stress test all my springs and make sure I got a solid set. :)

Cheers,

Rev.