still not happy w/ ht of IE stage 2 in frt...

jrkoupe

they really havent settled much w/ the new Billy sports.......she is sitting higher than I had hoped......

Jeremy I. once told me the poundage of these frt stg 2 sprgs...but I cant recall. Does any1 know?.......Im recalling @ 270 lbs?...

Maybe Ill get some similar frt sprgs made up, but lower by 3/8 to 1/2 inch.

Coil overs are more than I want to afford right now.

The front coils can easily be cut without removing them. Just support the front on jackstands, remove the front wheels and use a cut-off wheel. The strut contains the spring, so there is no danger of flying spring pieces. I cut 1 1/2 coils all the way around and got the stance I wanted. I have Bilstein HD's and the ride isn't harsh or jumpy at all.

There was a great discussion on the topic of cutting springs last year. There were several veteran forum members who supported the idea, which is why I gave it a shot. I figured if I messed it up, then I could go ahead and buy lowering springs anyway. My car is strictly for street use, but I have to say that the ride and handling was improved dramatically. Just my opinion.

post-5612-13667633317729_thumb.jpg

CUT THEM! Seriously....I talked to Jeff at Ireland before I cut my stage II fronts. Not a big deal. I too wasnt completely happy with the drop of the front. It took me 15 minutes with a dremel and cutting wheel...didnt have to remove the springs...just jack the front up, remove the wheel and I cut 1/2 a coil. Once I did that it was too low, so I put the spacer back under the car and its just about perfect. So if I were to do it again, I'd cut 1/4 coil. Its my daily driver and I drive it ALOT including road trips around the western US. No complaints here.

So here is my car after a series of suspension mods...

1st is stock springs and shocks

picture-2.jpg

2nd Ireland Stage II and Bilstein Sports..rears had no spring pads

picture-10.jpg

3rd cut 1/2 coil off fronts and added the rear spring pads back to raise the rear. 2 dot pads. Front spacer on TOP of the struts. Front was too low and bottomed out easily...handled HORRIBLY.

picture-51.jpg

4th pic. Just about PERFECT. Front spacer placed below the strut to raise it back up just a bit. Handling is restored, ride is restored and no more bottoming out. I was thinking about coilovers but I am very happy with the car as it is now.

picture-117.jpg

does it bottom out in the back if you have a person in the back seat or did you roll your fenders. cause i have stag one springs and shocks from ireland eng. and just put them on my 1600 and went for a spin and rear bottoms out when you whip around a turn. and my car sits alot higher than yours. useing 195/50/15 tires yokohama s

Just remember if you cut the cols while they are in (which I did) be sure to cut no more than a 1/2 a coil at a time. Otherwise you wil have a bitch of a time getting the piece out. Cut a whole coil and you can not pull it out because it is wrapped around the strut. (don't ask why I know this LOL)

Car NEVER bottoms even on HUGE bumps...Is it rubbing or bottoming? I am using 195/60/14s all the way around...what wheels and offset are you running? I dont rub or bottom at all.

Well I don't know how moving the spacers would have helped if struts were bottoming. For rubbing they probably help.

Tommy

RIMS ARE 15/7 and i am getting rub from the lip of the wheel weel.

but what are the offsets? This will tell you how far in or out the wheels will stick out. The smaller the offset number the farther out they will stick. For example...15x7 offset +10 probably will stick out too far and rub...while 15x7 offset +25-27 is about perfect...+35 sticks in too far and rubs on the inside. So 15/7 doesnt tell the whole story. Mine are 14x6.5 et +30 and they are just about perfect.

Besides being a hack job and loss of spring rate rating, the concern is that you lose a great deal of the spring contact with the perch. You are changing the design of the spring from a square or closed end to an open end. Retention of the springs in their mounts (perches) and spring buckling are possible problems of spring cutting.