14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

heater valve removal

eaker02

74 02tii

Tried searching, but didn't see much help on this. Since my heater valve handle is seized, thought I'd jump up this morning take it off, repair it and put it back in.

The problem is the center piece right above the valve and covers the blower motor.

I can't get my hands on the other side of the valve to take the cable loose. The bracket feels like it's broken, so that may not be a problem.

Am I missing anything? Any simple tips to remove to remove the valve without removing the heater box? This 02 has AC and don't want to go that route?

thanks

ron

It's not as hard as you think (swinging the A/C console into the passenger side floor). If I can do it - so can you.

If you have small fingers, you might be able to access the small (8mm wrench?) nut securing the cable to the valve arm. Be careful, as the plastic tab securing the valve to the box will most likely break.

31409012.jpg

11009021.jpg

3cd17da4.jpg

find a friend w/ very small arms/hands.

The plastic tab that it mounts to, is typically broken.

Unless you can reach around the top of the valve & get the little nut off (good luck) there's no easy way that I'm aware of, to get the valve out without pulling the heater box.

Nice pics Jim!

DSC05541.jpg

HeaterBox_3.jpg

HeaterBox_4.jpg

This one had the broken plastic bracket, so I used a nice sized zip-tie to secure it to the base. worked perfectly. (for a DD)

DSC05106.jpg

DSC05104.jpg

Not going to drop the heater box, but in prep for trying again this weekend to un-seize the heater valve, I'm not able to loosen bolt on that holds the cable in place on the valve, but I am able to loosen the bolt that holds the arm in place.

So is there anything wrong with taking the arm off, loosen the hose clamps and pull the valve,clean or what ever I need to do to repair the valve, then do the reverse when installing?

There is also a plastic relief valve that's in the heater hose which runs vertically up the firewall before it gets to the control valve.

What's the purpose of the is valve? It has a knob that I can loosen and water starts leaking out. Is it to drain water that goes to the heater?

thanks

ron

There is also a plastic relief valve that's in the heater hose which runs vertically up the firewall before it gets to the control valve.

What's the purpose of the is valve? It has a knob that I can loosen and water starts leaking out. Is it to drain water that goes to the heater?

thanks

ron

Sounds like a previous owner (PO) installed one of those flush-and-fill kits for the coolant system. That plastic tee is used to connect a garden hose to flush the system.