14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Subframe Connectorsfor an 02?

ClayW

The front subfram bolts solidly to the car in six places I don not think you will improve the rigidity there. The rear subfram is rubber mounted to the rear of the car. IE sells solid rear subfram mounts as well as a poly insert to stiffen up the stock mounts. Is this what you are looking for?

Mark

The front subfram bolts solidly to the car in six places I don not think you will improve the rigidity there. The rear subfram is rubber mounted to the rear of the car. IE sells solid rear subfram mounts as well as a poly insert to stiffen up the stock mounts. Is this what you are looking for?

Mark

Subframe connectors are welded or bolted sections of steel that connect the forward subframe to the rear subframe. The intent is to stiffen the chassis by connecting the subframes, rather than transfer force through the unibody. Basically, it's a means of stiffening the chassis without adding a rollcage.

Subframe connectors are welded or bolted sections of steel that connect the forward subframe to the rear subframe. The intent is to stiffen the chassis by connecting the subframes, rather than transfer force through the unibody. Basically, it's a means of stiffening the chassis without adding a rollcage.

Clay

Thank for clearing that up for me. I just learned something new. Today is going to be a good day.

Thanks

Mark

Funny, i have had this on my mind for a while now. I was thinking that maybe the subframes could be connected with two pieces of box end steel , maybe 1" to 1.5"? Bolted in, for easy removal. Next step is to get under there with some 1x2" pieces of wood and mock it up and check for clearance and other potential pitfalls....

i don't know about you guys, but if the front end of my car is on stands and i open one of the doors, it's obvious there's some flex in the body.

Maybe we could take a page from the muscle car crowd for this.

bob

Great for your 68 Cam-ay-row... ''specially the ''vert version. Dated a girl for a while who had the firebird ''vert with the SOHC 6... ugly car, pretty girl... But that was really a car with the middle of the frame cut out. The 2002 was designed as a shell from the beginning. Connecting what we call the subframes won''t add much strength because the front and rear suspension loads are fed mainly into the rockers by the front inner fender structure and the rear subframe mount bolts. Stiffening the rockers is a worthy goal, as is stiffening the attachment of the ends to them. There''ve been a few attempts at both through the years, the most successful involving roll cages... Others have caught the front subframe tails where they wizzle off into sheetmetal in the floor- that always made sense, but I think it''s actually an early attempt at crash- energy dissipation... fwiw, t

Guest Anonymous

Utilizing high grade structural epoxy. I prepped the front subframe and adheared it to the chassis followed up with bolts. Much more rigid. every bit on the autox course helps. Foam filling rockers etc.

Guest Anonymous

connecting a rubber mounted rear subframe to a solidly mounted front subframe is not going to end well. you could solid mount the rear subframe first, but having a diff solid mounted to the body is LOUD. Reinforcing the sills like bmw did with the convertibles would accomplish your goal.

I welded a set of connectors into my 1969 Plymouth Valiant years ago, it was built as a road race config.. It was a significant improvement in body stiffness. But those cars have two unibody subframes, similar to the 2002's front frame rails. Our cars don't have a rear set, explaining why there is never chatter about this type of mod..I presume.

post-3771-13667633305545_thumb.jpg

post-3771-13667633306527_thumb.jpg

post-3771-13667633307554_thumb.jpg

connecting a rubber mounted rear subframe to a solidly mounted front subframe is not going to end well. you could solid mount the rear subframe first, but having a diff solid mounted to the body is LOUD. Reinforcing the sills like bmw did with the convertibles would accomplish your goal.

Good point. I bet that extending the front frame rails to connect with ad stiffen the rockers to a point close to the rear subframe mount would be a good idea. Of course, I should probably start with a good, triangulated strut tower brace. My `67 squeaks a lot!