Another guy attempting to ID a Dr Schrick

EcoAuto

I'm replacing the Schrick cam in my car with a stock repro cam from Ireland Engineering. (Yeah, I know... why would you go and do that?)

The machine shop doing the work reports the Schrick cam is in great condition. When I bought the car from a BMW enthusiast earlier this year, he told me it had a 292 in it. I want to confirm this.

I've attached photos of the cam and one of the engraved end. Dr Schrick's handwriting is not the greatest, but. I'm pretty sure it says 292 6, which seems to confirm it's really a 292. The casting numbers on the side are stamped SB 4 and 407.

Can anyone assure me before I put it up for sale?

post-18606-13667633261479_thumb.jpg

post-18606-13667633263358_thumb.jpg

post-18606-13667633264915_thumb.jpg

post-18606-13667633266515_thumb.jpg

...why is that so hammered/buggered looking ?

scroll down to page 4 of the catalog - it might help you

http://www.avl-schrick.com/dat/MK/Schrick%202009%20E.pdf

....and/or email SCHRICK - they might know

and read their new cam installation 'catalog' - very juicy

http://www.avl-schrick.com/dat/MK/Nockenwelleneinbau%20%20Camshaft%20Installation-berichtigt-25102005.pdf

That buggered look may be my limited photographic skills along with the low-res Blackberry camera. I'll take better resolution shots using my regular digital camera when I borrow it from my wife. I'm not sure how old the cam is and I'm curious to learn that from the ID numbers. I suspect it's been in the car for about 25,000 miles, installed sometime in the late 1990's.

With the Schrick installed the engine runs very strong and smooth, especially over 3500 rpm. However, I'm more concerned about getting smooth low rpm performance and idle, better MPG, and tame around town performance.

I hope to sell the cam to help pay for my next project, which is to send the K-Fish out for bench testing and if needed, a preventative rebuild.

Under better light, the hand inscribed numbers on the cam end are:

2 9 2 6 plus either a V or an N.

What I thought were several #1s, appear to be straight hatch marks, one each at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o:clock.

The distance from the shaft to the end of each lobe appears to be 8 mm as measuring by my dinky mm ruler. I've got to get a more precise caliper to confirm, or bring it to our local machine shop... though they've never heard of Dr Schrick.

Actually, CD, what you are seeing is artefacts of the threads in the nose not being relieved properly-

they were holding the cam gear off the cam nose a bit.

That's odd for 'the doctor'

Even I don't make that mistake... any more.

I suspect you're looking at a 292 from a good while ago.

They're stamped now.

The lobes DO look great.

t