$16,000 02 hell yes

rover1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-2002-Tii-RHD-ULTRA-RARE-1973-BMW-2002Tii-RIGHT-HAND-DRIVE-RAGTOP-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf2c14296QQitemZ330490266262QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks This is what i would expect if was going to pay $16.000 for an 02 and i would still be kinda hard pressed- the seat adjusters look a little funky and the rag top im not so sure is O.E. for an 02- but the fit and finish is real nice.

mmm, im not really sold. paint does look nice though. everything else though looks kinda bland. engine could certainly be spiffed up a bit more.

+1

Missing a couple items, and a few things painted that should'nt have been.

Unless you have to have a RHD tii, it's a $7,000 car.

I had a chance to inspect this car prior to its restoration. It was "cosmetically challenged."

I'm uncertain as to how much rust repair has been performed, but it's easy to note the replaced front fenders from the telltale seam above the headlight.

Regardless, a lot of work/money has gone into this project. Not trying to take away anything from the restorer/seller, but it's not the way I would have done it.

D

Edit: The Webasto "ragtop" was a common add-on from dealers in the UK. When I inspected it, this car also had a black vinyl roof.

Please view the ebay pics carefully. The rear inner wheel houses show some obvious patches. Run, don't walk away from this one.

I used to collect Datsun Z Cars and Alphas, which ranks me as one of the top Rust Inspectors on the Planet!

IMHO, this car has been ridden HARD and simply cosmetically rendered to make people think it's worth anywhere near $16k. There are numerous 'tells' which indicate to me that this car is not nearly so nice as the Seller wants people to believe.

Two years down the road, the Buyer is going to start noticing all sort of rattles and squeaks, and see paint bubbling in odd spots (to say nothing of the mechanicals).

Every Alarm Bell in my head is sounding and saying this car isn't worth $5k, let alone $16k. If you buy this car at any price, be sure you have hefty War Chest at hand... you're gonna need it.

Hope this helps anyone considering this car.

Cheers!

I used to collect Datsun Z Cars and Alphas,

Alfas

The thing that strikes me the most (and I see this a lot) are the painted strut nuts and studs. This shows the lack of "work" that might have been done. Even just painting the area to spruce it up, can't you put some tape around the studs and put on new nuts?

Pretty car regardless

John

Delia

Wouldn't you want this to go for 16k +??? I don't understand why when 02's fetch high prices everyone seems to bash it. Unless your in the market for a 02, there should be more excitement and support knowing that they are gaining value.

Granted on this particular 02 there are a few visible signs of things that we all would have done differently/better, it's still a nice looking 02 that would find a nice home.

As far as "dodging a bullet"... I don't think i'd want to hear that if it was a car i was bidding on.

Delia

Wouldn't you want this to go for 16k +??? I don't understand why when 02's fetch high prices everyone seems to bash it. Unless your in the market for a 02, there should be more excitement and support knowing that they are gaining value.

Granted on this particular 02 there are a few visible signs of things that we all would have done differently/better, it's still a nice looking 02 that would find a nice home.

As far as "dodging a bullet"... I don't think i'd want to hear that if it was a car i was bidding on.

Sorry, but IMHO, I could not disagree more!

[RANT ON]

The Car Hobby is dying, look around, look at any of the pics in the Roundel, or Porsche Panorama, they're filled with white haired guys.

As youngsters, many of us got into the car hobby because it was affordable!

Pick up an MGB for $200 (that ran), or a Triumph, Datsun 510 or even an '02.

Today, people want to buy a car that's better than showroom, or a $1 project car they sink thousands into. Then, they want to make a profit when they sell it or at least get their money back. WRONG!

We're putting these cars out of the reach of younger people, and that's a problem!

Car restoration is the worst economic model on the Planet! You cannot do it on an investment basis or hope your car gains value.

If you want to restore or upgrade a car, you do it for your own pleasure and driving enjoyment, period. If you cannot stomach that, get out of the car hobby.

Go buy a $30k Bass Boat and spend a couple hundred every weekend coming home with 2-3 Bass which end up costing you $56/lb. Or take up golf, spend the same $200 per weekend and come home with nothing.

Old cars (few are actual classics) have gotten way too expensive and are driving people away from the hobby, not toward it.

I paid $1800 for my '02. I'll have near $10k into it before I'm done. But I knew going in that I'll end up with a car worth maybe $5k. That's OK. I love the car and want to perfect it - for my pleasure! Some will see it as a $5k loss. I see it as the cost of entertainment.

IMHO, no 2002 is worth more than $8-$9k, and this is for the very best of them.

Time to get back to basic values and price our cars accordingly.We cannot afford to keep alienating the younger set by pricing these cars out of their reach. If we do, who do you think you're going to eventually sell your car to? We have as much control over the market as the buyers do, but it's shortsighted to try and get more for the car than it's actually worth.

If we don't, what with new regulations, soon to be lesser availability of fossil fuels (over the next 20 yrs.), less enthusiasm amongst the young for the hobby, and such, the bottom will drop out of the market and you won't be able to give your car away.

[RANT OFF]

Cheers!