Clutches Clutches Clutches

Harv

Ok,,So I should have around 180hp.

I have an aluminum flywheel and I need to buy a clutch.

Looking at Ireland, I'd like their 228mm Sport PP and sprung racing disc but it looks a little pricy... But then again, ya get what ya pay's for.

What about a Sachs Sport PP from a e30 325i?

Any other choices?

John

NA or FI ?

NA you'll probably be fine even with a stock 215mm clutch and a 228mm one will be more than enough.

FI just get a 228mm clutch and call it a day

I think the E30 325i pressure plates are a bit stronger, but be sure to get the short 318i TOB and not the longer 323i one.

I'm currently running a 325i pressure plate with an asbestos plate on my turbo (200hp / 200lb/ft 'ish) and it's held up great so far.

When I started with low pressure (6-7psi) my old 215mm clutch was able to take it.

Not sure about HP/TQ, probably around the 150hp/150lb/ft mark back then.

• Administrators
Hey John,

I'm running this combo - it's really sweet, very balanced with great hold - I like it a lot. It was recommended by Ireland for a 175-200 HP set-up.

JB Racing Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel

Sachs BMW E30 M3 228mm Pressure plate

Sachs 228mm 2002tii clutch disk

Tom

It's been a while, but i think what i had was an e30 325 Sports Pressure Plate. I believe it's the same weight as the m3 pressure plate, but a lot cheaper.

steve k.

• 5 months later...

For a high-performance and even more expensive option, my 215mm lightweight racing clutch has a billet pressure plate ring, weighs just 7.2 lbs (stock sachs is 11.4), has 40% more clamping force and yet has the same pedal feel as a stock set-up. $750+

post-70-13667640756201_thumb.jpg

...and my Quartermaster setup in its entirety (including 'flywheel')

weighs less than the stock cover plate. But that's not important right now... ;)

What is, is that I think that the 325 plate would be fine, as a clutch could give a shit

about horsepower, it's the torque that makes it slip

(if the driver's competent...)

and an M20 makes a lot more than any M10 can without forced induction.

And even then, you'd need a LOT of boost...

t

...and my Quartermaster setup in its entirety (including 'flywheel') weighs less than the stock cover plate. But that's not important right now... ;)

Yeah, I get that ... but some of us have to (by rules) run a set-up which is reasonably-close to what came with the car (well, okay, so the materials have changed). I suspect that 'keeping it close to vintage' is why we've got 20+ cars in VARA's C Sedan class.