14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Billsmith

I just had the joy of discovering my local tire store cannot find the appropriate sized tires for my 'new' 1972 BMW 2002. They suggested I buy them online from Coker Tire. Any of you guys have any advice for me about tires? The tires that are on it have plenty of tread but the tire store suggested they are 6-8 years old and one day the tread would delaminate like a recap leaving only the steel belts. They are T-Meric by Goodyear. The tire store guy warned not to make long trips until the tires are replaced. Advice from those with knowledge or experience about tires will be greatly appreciated. Size, type, source, etc.

In my experience, TireRack has been a very good source for tire for me.

When I had my 13" ATS wheels, I always bought Sumitumo HTR200's, mainly because they were cheap and decent summer performance tires (for the $$). I had 205/60's and ran fine with out rubbing.

They lasted me about 15,000 miles per set, including many autox events and lots of mountain driving.

Now that I have the Alpinas on (15"), I run kuhmos' escta's, but really want to switch over to yokohama or dunlops. The kuhmos have really bad wet traction compared to the sumitumos that I had. I have 195/50R15's.

Dont know how helpful this is to you.. but I have never had a bad experience with tirerack! SUPER fast shipping too.

Do I have to go with the 165R13 size for the speedometer to function correctly?

These speedometers have never been particularly accurate to begin with. 185/70/13s should get you close enough.

Like Zac, I also think the Sumitomo HTR 200 is a decent tire for the money. They also have a wide range of 13" sizes, which generally are very scarce these days.