• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First post and introduction of sorts.

zman

Figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself. It's required on a couple other forums I'm on and really makes sense to know a little about someone when you converse with them. I'm Scott Zekanis, hence the zman moniker. I just brought a '76 2002 home last night.

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

More pics here http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r310/zekanis/BMW2002/

It's going to be my driver for a bit as I finish up some stuff on my driver of the last few years.

A 1957 Buick, with Jag suspension front and rear and 425 out of a '65 Riviera.

IMG_0557.jpg

More here if interested.... http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r310/zekanis/1957%20Buick/

But I picked up the 2002 pretty cheap and am happy that it's a pretty solid running driving car.

It does need a little TLC.

I have a list.

Speedo inaccurate

Tach doesn't work

shifter sloppy

sunroof mechanism missing

general tuneup and fluid change, it does seem to be running a little fat.

and shocks for starts.

I'm trying to not get to deep right now as I need to keep driving it for a few months while I redo the interior and a couple other things. But there are plans in the future. Minilites, maybe some 40's, a 5spd and limited slip. We'll see how long I can hold off.

[/img]

Welcome. NC is pretty much '02 central on the East Coast...you may already know that. Nice folks out that way including Mike Pugh of the Raleigh area. A true ambassador of the cult...I mean hobby!

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

become.

1. Pick out a nice twisty road--no more than a mile or two to start.

2. Drive said road in your Buick.

3. Drive said road in your 2002, bad shocks and all.

You'll repeat #3 'cause you're having so much fun, and then start looking for longer twisty roads.

Lotsa help, friendly folk and parts on the Board--not to mention a bunch of 02ers in the Raleigh/Durham area.

We expect to see you at the Vintage meet next May in Winston Salem. Cool car, incidentally--from the pictures it looks like Colorado, but that color wasn't used on '76s, so it may be Inka.

Cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Looks like you have a good start there. We have a pretty active group here in NC You can find out more about the activities at www.the02group.org We just had our last event of the year this past weekend (well except for going to get Christmas Trees at the end of the month) but get on the email list so you can stay in the loop Let us know if we can be of any assistance

Cheers

Thanks for the warm replies. Do any of the Raleigh area people get together at all? I do a meet once a month at my shop for a bunch of the hot rod guys.

http://www.rod-o-rama.com

I'd love to get together and pool resources.

1. Pick out a nice twisty road--no more than a mile or two to start.

2. Drive said road in your Buick.

3. Drive said road in your 2002, bad shocks and all.

You'll repeat #3 'cause you're having so much fun, and then start looking for longer twisty roads.

Lotsa help, friendly folk and parts on the Board--not to mention a bunch of 02ers in the Raleigh/Durham area.

We expect to see you at the Vintage meet next May in Winston Salem. Cool car, incidentally--from the pictures it looks like Colorado, but that color wasn't used on '76s, so it may be Inka.

Actually when I built the Buick I built it to handle, hence the Jaguar suspension front and rear, I roadraced motorcycles for 15 plus years, I like handling on the twisties. The Buick has actually surprised more than one, it's entirely limited by the tires I run on her, but I do because they look right for the style.

Something about a book and it's cover. :)

DSC02188.jpg

Now that said. The reason I chose the 2002 is that I like the twisties.

The biggest issue I think may well be power. I'm used to having a lot more on tap. There is a weight differnce, the BMW is said to weigh between 2,150 and 2,450 lbs. The Buick weighs in at about 3,800 at this point.

As for the color, it looks different in other pics.

IMG_0733-1.jpg

And I am hoping to make the Vintage Meet, I just need to make sure it doesn't conflict with some of the other shows that I go to.

Looks like you have a good start there. We have a pretty active group here in NC You can find out more about the activities at www.the02group.org We just had our last event of the year this past weekend (well except for going to get Christmas Trees at the end of the month) but get on the email list so you can stay in the loop Let us know if we can be of any assistance

Thanks a bunch, I may hit you guys up for local parts sources. I haven't been to THoff since I stopped messing with VW's in the 80's but assume they still have lots of stuff for these as well. I'm already making a list of things I may need. I'm debating replacing the instrument cluster as the odometer doesn't work, though the speedo does, but not accurately. I'll be reading a lot on these as I have been for the last few weeks.

Scott

I sometimes have a group picnic here at the house this year we had it over in Asheboro But I will sometimes get the gang together for an impromptu drive in the country so send me your email and I will put you my little crazy guy list

Hey, love your website and projects I spied an Anglia sedan in one of them sitting in front of your shop. Check out my BMW power Anglia at the below link You will have to come by and drive it sometime or let me know when you get the rodding buddies together and I will bring it over.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,286356/

Also, I just got through restoring an Inka 2002, check out my website for pictures :) Must warn you though, that is not my favorite 02 color :)

I need to pick your brain also, getting ready to start rodding my wife's 1938 GMC pickup truck and need suggestions on what is the best independent front end to use

Looks like we may have more in common than we know :) Just left you a message on your shop phone :)

You won't last, it's infectious.. the sense of urgency will over take you soon.

I already have a disease. I have projects for days. I still have stuff to finish on my Buick which has been my daily driver as well as a '22 Buick roadster and a '38 Buick 5 window. Oh and a '60 International with a Buick Nailhead and 6 deuces. LOL. Sold off the Ducati last year and the only thing I haven't messed with so far is the '01 Guzzi.

Scott

I sometimes have a group picnic here at the house this year we had it over in Asheboro But I will sometimes get the gang together for an impromptu drive in the country so send me your email and I will put you my little crazy guy list

Hey, love your website and projects I spied an Anglia sedan in one of them sitting in front of your shop. Check out my BMW power Anglia at the below link You will have to come by and drive it sometime or let me know when you get the rodding buddies together and I will bring it over.

Also, I just got through restoring an Inka 2002, check out my website for pictures :) Must warn you though, that is not my favorite 02 color :)

Thanks. zman@rodorama.com will get to me.

Ahhh... the Anglia. I originally bought it with the intent to use a 2.3 Turbo and 5 speed out of a Turbocoupe in it. But I'm already 3 projects behind. So I let her go. I should have followed through, but then I probably wouldn't have gotten the 2002.

Saw all the pics on the website. The Thames is awesome.

Not so sure on the color myself, but it's growing on me. Though it is a 2nd rate paint job over some questionable work. So I can see it getting painted again at some point. Not sure if I'd stay with the color or not. We'll see.

I'll get the message at the shop when I go in this afternoon. Doing the desk thing and keeping my guys working. Let's me go in the evenings and on the weekends and do the stuff I enjoy.

We should hook up sometime... looks like you have lots of car experience outside of the 2002 world. My brother gave me a '75 2002 fall of 2008 and I am 2 years into my resto... probably 2 years still to go..

If interested, here's where I keep my random set of progress pix...

http://rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com/

Randy - I am in Raleigh up near Falls and Millbrook road intersection

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

I see an S14 swap in your future :P Especially if you want power!

Good luck with the 02 and welcome to the addiction!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Welcome...and just remember one thing. The guest room is for guests and not storing extra seats, rims, headlights, boxes of misc parts according to my wife....

Russ

1970 Grey 02 (the never ending project)
2007 328xi coupe (DD)

and a couple hondas for the kid.