Squeaky alternator causing no start?

bgv4

I'm having a no start issue with my 76. I had thought that it may just be the tension of the fan belt, but i bought a new one and adjusted that, and i still cant get the car to turn over. There is a really loud (and irritating) squeak/squeal when trying to turn the car over. I have checked the water pump, and the bearings seem fine based on some of the tests listed in the archives.

The squealing started when i had the car idling in the driveway, so i pulled it in the garage, and it hasn't started since. I am beginning to think it might be the alternator, but i am not sure why this would cause a no start issue (besides the battery being dead, which i have checked).

Here is a video of the squeaky alternator:

Thanks for your suggestions!

So the starter just goes "click" click" when you turn the key?

If so, it could be that your starter froze up or the engine seized... have you checked your oil?

This is assuming your battery is good and all connections clean...

*Edit: Come to think of it though, you really need to double check your battery, as it sounds like your alternator may have gone bad and couldn't keep the battery charged... Try jumping it with another car and see what happens. Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it is the starter, it spins, and then I hear the squeal. Oil is good, although it was a bit low and I added to it a few weeks ago. If a video or sound clip would be helpful, I can post that tomorrow.

If the squealing started while he car was sitting and idling I would not think the noise is coming from the starter motor - it's not turning over while the car is idling.

I think those who've suggested starting by jumping the battery are right-on. It's very possible the alternator is not charging the battery sufficiently, and the noise you hear is from the bearings or bushings in the alternator.

Bob Napier

All, i had the starter tested at advance auto today, and it seems to be good based on their bench tests. I will probably replace it with an sr440x since i have the old one out. But back to the original problem, now I am really lost... Any input will be appreciated.

How did you check your battery? Voltage does not equal amps... If you only used a volt meter and not a load tester you may not have an accurate picture of your battery's condition. Have you tried jump starting it yet? This is where I would begin. That or try a known good battery from another car...

Also, check to be sure that all of the connections to the battery and starter are very clean and shiny. Sometimes they can look clean, but will have a dull build up of corrosion that looks like metal but does not conduct electricity well... Use a good wire brush or knife if you have to, but make sure everything is very clean.

It really sounds like your alt. went out and your battery is now too weak to start the car.

I decided to get a 30mm socket so i could hand crank the engine. I got under the car and began to turn it clockwise, and while it is not too hard to turn (not seized) it does make the squeaking noise, and it is definitely not coming from the air pump. I do not have the v-belt connected.

Where does this leave me now? This is beyond my limited knowledge, but am willing to try and figure it out and fix it on my own with your help.

I can upload video or audio if it will help.

Thanks for your replies!

i pulled the old starter before i tried to jump it, and do not plan on wrestling the old one back in. I'll wait until the new one comes (Bosch SR441x) and report those results. In the meantime, I doubt that the there should be any squeaks or squeals when turning the engine at the crankshaft. Is that a correct assessment? What should i try in order to reduce or eliminate that?

Thanks for the responses!