Riddle me this...

touchngodan

I am restoring a '72 2002. Project started with a cracked head and toasted engine. I used a 320i engine less the injestion. I had the head rebuilt with new guides and seals. I had the carb professionally rebuilt. New wires, cap, rotor, points. using the original distributor due to vac advance broke on the 320i's dist. The problem is that the #4 hole is dead, I can unplug that plug wire and it makes no impact on the engine's already rough ride. I have measured the cam lobe in the intakes and all read equal. I have between 165 and 170 for compression on all 4 cylinders. Any Ideas out there??

Sometimes it's the things that you would assume it can't be. I bought a '69 Triumph in '72 for $1000 because the PO couldn't diagnose the miss in the engine. The first thing I did when I bought it was to replace the plugs, even though they already looked pretty freshly installed. The problem turned out to be an internal break in one of the plugs. When I changed it, the car ran like a top from then on. I guess my advice is not to overlook the obvious things that we all tend to take for granted.

Thanks for all the replies... I have tried swapping plugs and it has new wires cap and rotor, also I have tried both the 320 dist and the 2002 dist which do rotate the same way. The cap on the #4 intake is there and when removed does have a great deal of vacuum on it. I have rechecked the valve adjustment. Dial indicator shows the lobes on the cam have the same height. Still pondering.

Is the plug soaked with fuel when you remove it shortly after running the engine? Did you pull plug wires one at a time after switching the plugs around?

Try all new plugs if you haven't, they're cheap...

Also, did you check that there is spark coming from the #4 wire itself? just put a screwdriver or something in it and see if it arcs to a ground on the engine somewhere whenever the engine is turned over. I have seen caps with internal breaks in them too...

• 1 month later...

Problem solved. After having a professional look at it and making a few adjustments to the carb wiring and adjustments, the culprit was a vacuum leak in the brake boost. I had considered this before but the prob was masked with other probs in the carb. Thank you all for the help.