14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

/rant So I was accused of hot rodding...

Cameron

Dropped off my girlfriend at her house and swapped from my Audi to the 02 (that's where i'm keeping it right now), let it warm up for a bit, and grannied it over to the gas station a couple miles down the road. While I'm filling up, I get a text:

"My dad's pissed. And seriously don't drive the 02 like an idiot. I didn't sell it to you for that. This is the third time I've heard about you driving like a jackass. My dad complained about how he could smell it from the bathroom and that he could hear you tearing down old county"

I'm sick of everyone thinking its a smelly piece of shit rust bucket and I always drive it like a madman. I told her there's no way he could smell it since the engine is in tune, and that there is a time and a place for hot rodding, not 11:30 at night in front of my girlfriend's parents' house, especially on a dead cold engine.

And to think, I was getting ready to order a header and get pipes welded on...

Dropped off my girlfriend at her house and swapped from my Audi to the 02 (that's where i'm keeping it right now), let it warm up for a bit, and grannied it over to the gas station a couple miles down the road. While I'm filling up, I get a text:

"My dad's pissed. And seriously don't drive the 02 like an idiot. I didn't sell it to you for that. This is the third time I've heard about you driving like a jackass. My dad complained about how he could smell it from the bathroom and that he could hear you tearing down old county"

I'm sick of everyone thinking its a smelly piece of shit rust bucket and I always drive it like a madman. I told her there's no way he could smell it since the engine is in tune, and that there is a time and a place for hot rodding, not 11:30 at night in front of my girlfriend's parents' house, especially on a dead cold engine.

And to think, I was getting ready to order a header and get pipes welded on...

what do you expect, you're sticking your knob in his daughter!

It's the same in Hawaii, people assume loud car = driving fast and like a lunatic. I've had to explain many times that sound doesn't always equate to speed. I'm tired of it but it's just one of those things you have to deal with when you drive an old car besides the good attention you get from some people makes it all worthwhile. OR (although this is highly unrecommended) you can just drive like an idiot since you're gonna catch sh*t for it anyway.

Sean

translation: I really don't like your old car, it is obnoxious and I can't tell you that directly - because I am girl - instead I will use my dad as a scape goat.

If she was your wife she would say: when are you going to dump that old piece of shit and drive a real car?

Well if you know he is sensitive to the noise...why let it warm up in the driveway? Oh and you are probably kidding yourself if you think it doesnt smell. I think just about all 02s have an exhaust smell....No matter how well they are tuned....old cars without emissions have exhaust smell...and since you sat it idling for minutes while it warmed up...smell...he probably doesnt want to hear it late at night and you sat there and let it idle. Next time...start it....let it sit for 15 seconds so the oil pressure comes up..then drive it away...short shift it and dont go above 3k rpm. This should keep the noise down...Oh and find someplace else to keep the car....he probably doesnt think that highly of you that you are storing "your old piece of junk" at his house.

1.You're idling in the man's driveway at 11:30pm. Don't kid yourself, your car smells like fuel and it's noisy.

2. You're parking on HIS property

3. You're poking his daughter..enuff said

Basically, park it at your own place or quit bitching. Or show her who's boss and get the header and straight pipes. : )

I have had the same experience many times. Very frustrating to be pulling 3k in 2nd gear and the neighbors think you are going 70 ! I would get yelled at by a school crossing guard every time I passed her. Finally, one day, I stopped got out of the car and tried to explain to her........Gotta love the sound of that engine though !

'76 2002

'83 URQ

'04 R32

be glad your primary is not a superduty 4x4 w/oilfield bumper and 285/16" mud snow tires . People always think I am speeding at 25 mph Hell of a Noise. stock exhaust system. But I can Go Just about anywhere anytime any snowfall