Using 3M blue paint tape as a temporary paint protector?

bgspanel

Kinda of an odd question! Anyone ever heard of using 3M blue paint tape as a temporay paint chip protector? The car has jsut been repainted and it has to cure for 20 days before I can but a clear plastic film bra on it. I thought I saw some pictures of a turbo at a gas pump trimed out in blue tape at the SolCal event? I am concerned about the tape pulling anything off the car --- ie the stripes on the front spoiler. Any other suggestions on what to do for the next 20 days? Someone else said something about vasoline??

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

Be careful!! That's some strong adhesive. I used it under the valence to seperate the bottom from the top and it pulled the clear coat off!! Of course part of the problem was the lousy paint job that was done.

Don't put ANYTHING on fresh paint. Don't even dust it off.

Dust will do less harm than removing it will.

Let it harden.

And dry is good.

Yes, we see cars with blue tape all over them at the

track for lapping days- it's fun to see how much comes off.

A rainy day is funny, usually- one guy got his wipers fouled up with it.

t

There are always some "clean car folk" (I'm being nice, here) that show up to autocrosses/car clinics and run blue tape all over their cars to protect it from a rock chip.

I've been tempted to show up with my well-weathered 02 and cover different, odd spots with the same blue tape. The corner of the side window, the sunroof, one taillight, etc...these would be the only pristine parts on my car that would be worthy of spending five bucks on masking tape to preserve their perfect condition.

Maybe I'd be better off just leaving those parts at home. The last time I removed a sticker from my door, it pulled the paint off.

Just drive it.