• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

still not used to this

68Roundie

Every day that I've driven my 02 since i bought it 4 months ago, I've received compliments or nods from other drivers, today wasn't any different. I decided to take the 110 freeway from downtown to Pasadena and since the traffic was pretty light, the twists just before the freeway ends were glorious. When I got to the intersection at the end of the freeway a guy in a Ducati pulled up next to me and complimented the roundie and told me that he once owned a 73tii and we both agreed how awesome these little cars are. I added that I didnt need to take this route to get to where I was going but I did it just because the road is excellent. He tapped the Ducati badge on his gas tank and said "me too", at that point the light turned green and he left me in his dust. It really is pretty damn peculiar how much attention these cars attract. Not many other cars put smiles on peoples faces like 02s. I'm still not used to this, but I do like it.

68' 2002, GRANADA RED

88' 325es, RED (previous car)

77' 320i, SIERRA BEIGE (previous car)

www.68roundie.blogspot.com

That's changed around here-

now you just get cut off, pulled out in front of, and

generally run off the road like in any other old car...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

That's changed around here-

now you just get cut off, pulled out in front of, and

generally run off the road like in any other old car...

t

Not always. At least not here in Renton. I've had a couple of nice interactions with my fellow suburbanites.

But with the reactions you get, maybe that's the reason we like driving in packs so much. :)

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

im with Toby on that one and i will take it step farther- Other drivers in way newer-faster and more powerful cars always want to race me or cut me off. i guess i need to take a trip to Pasadena so my 02 can get the love and admiration it would like to have.

To Tony and Rover, I by no means meant that I havent had a number of duche bags cut me off (this is L.A. after all) but no more than when I used to drive my 91 civic ex. The difference being, when I drove my civic, nobody, and I mean NOBODY ever complimented it or even approached me to swap previous civic owner stories. I've also find that when someone wants to race on the freeway my 02 ain't no slouch and when they pull away its because theyre in the completely stupid speed range and I'm not taking my car there. Off the line though, i got to admit my car doesn't stand much of a chance. Also I think that when I've been nearly run off the road it's been by tiny women, in gigantic SUVs. I don't usually get too pissed, I just figure they can't see us too well (same thing would always happen in my civic too).

68' 2002, GRANADA RED

88' 325es, RED (previous car)

77' 320i, SIERRA BEIGE (previous car)

www.68roundie.blogspot.com

three different folks walked over to admire and compliment me on the car--two were retired AF (this is an AFB gas station) who owned 2002s when they were stationed in Germany.

Then when I went through the gate into another section of the base, the gate guard--who sees thousands of cars every day--said what a cool "old car" that was and did I drive it every day...to which I replied in the affirmative.

It's part of owning a "cult car."

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite