M10 dipstick location

nbcbird

Rebuilding engines in not my forte. Can someone tell me if the location for the dipstick tube in an M10 block is the same for all 2002s? And is it different for the 320i (E21) block? My dipstick access ('71 2002) is aligned just in front of the number 2 intake, but I have a suspicion that the 320i has the tube access about 1-1/2 inches further forward. This question is prompted by the design of the oil pan baffle sold by TEP. Thanx.

they are different, early block has a bolted aluminium flange to hold the tube and later block just has a pressed-in tube next to that older location.

320i block used the same later location but i think the tube is angled differently to make different room for the fi intake manifold.

see there for pictures of each block variations

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,313512/

hth.

they are different, early block has a bolted aluminium flange to hold the tube and later block just has a pressed-in tube next to that older location.

320i block used the same later location but i think the tube is angled differently to make different room for the fi intake manifold.

see there for pictures of each block variations

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,313512/

hth.

Pat,

To add, some blocks had a full height tube (no hose joint, no stub in the block).

The 320i had a different length tube, same dipstick, for the different pan. I tried using one once with a 320i 79 manifold on the 02 because it angled better. The stick dips into the oil too far and would give an ok reading without enough oil in the pan.

Sorry but I didn't offer a complete explanation. The baffle is welded in the pan and installed on the engine in the car. I found out a couple of days too late after I re-installed my restored front subframe. Getting the oil pan out with the baffle will require either pulling the engine or dropping the entire front subframe (or not using the dipstick which is my current plan). Or is there a way to drill a hole in the baffle without getting metal shavings in the oil pan--I don't know of any?