14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

m2 project brake question

czp

You know, just an engine swap itself is no justification, or need for a Brake upgrade. That's a huge fallacy that if you boost or replace the motor you need to upgrade the brakes. Of course, aftermarket Brake suppliers subscribe to, and promote, this myth.

Unless you are changing the way you drive the car - Street vs. Track or the weight of the car has significantly changed, there's no need to upgrade brakes.

If the car's 60-0 MPH stopping distance is: X, it will still be: X after the engine swap. The Car will get to 60MPH quicker, but so far as the brakes are concerned it'll be same-same.

An S-14 weighs approximately 350lbs. vs. about 330lbs for a dual-carb'd M10, so no real difference there.

Larger brakes can delay or prevent the onset of Fade, but if not on the Track, this is unimportant because sufficient time exists between brake applications to allow everything to cool.

Guess what I'm saying is: If you want big brakes, just get them. But don't try to justify them because you're pumping up the Motor or replacing it with a more powerful or faster one. That's no justification at all.

Cheers!

Yeah, if you're not planning on thrashing it, it's not a huge deal.

I like the Volvo/ 320 combo (or 530/320 if you have tii struts)

mostly because service goes down and is a lot easier.

And then you CAN track it with impugnitiy.

And it doesn't cost much at all.

The VW rear conversion is nice mostly because you don't have to fuss with

rear adjusters

I do wonder- what's the availability of street pads like for a race caliper?

t

Yeah, if you're not planning on thrashing it, it's not a huge deal.

I like the Volvo/ 320 combo (or 530/320 if you have tii struts)

mostly because service goes down and is a lot easier.

And then you CAN track it with impugnitiy.

And it doesn't cost much at all.

The VW rear conversion is nice mostly because you don't have to fuss with

rear adjusters

I do wonder- what's the availability of street pads like for a race caliper?

t

I was too lazy to post earlier but agree with what everyone else is saying. I have the Volvo/e21 front setup and upgraded rear drums on my M2 and it's more than adequate for the streets. I might do the rear disc in the future just to balance it out a little better. Plus, you will not be able to run any wheels smaller than 15" if that matters to you. Save your $$, the conversion might go over budget. : )

edit: if you don't have a budget, do the Wilwood BBK!

I agree with what everyone else said. Personally I have the Volvo/E21 setup on my street car and it's more than adequate. For my turbo project I'm going with E12/E21 because of the Tii struts and then just running different pads depending on the use. I do plan on tracking the car and it'll have way more power than an M2, but is also stripped out and should be around 1800lbs when finished. I have experienced fade with the stock system and I upgraded to the Volvo/E21 after that, however I probably would have been just fine if I'd tried different pads.

If you really want some bling, IE is making the same set for 13's with the 2pc rotor. I'd just go with the standard volvo/E21 or maybe IE's mid range wilwood kit for 13's that uses an aluminum wilwood dynalite instead of a cast iron girling.

I have had all of the above mentioned tii options in my car at some point in the past. The biggest difference is upgrading to the vented 320i rotors and early 6 series calipers in the front improves braking significantly and decreases fade dramatically. This is particularly noticeable if you have bigger tires and more grip. Doing this and upgrading the rear drums is definitely the most bang for your buck. The volkswagen rear disks are cool, but don't really improve performance. The 15" Wilwoods from IE are slightly more powerful than the 320i fronts with volkswagen rears, but they are cleaner looking and should have even less fade. I just got the 15" Wilwoods and have not had enough time to get them on the track or form a strong opinion. The rear bracket is very slick, but the stock e-brake cable does not work. I ended up using a modified 320i cable. They do not fit with Alpina 15" wheels.

In response to Nick's comment, the Wilwoods are definitely much lighter.