Baveria Struts and Brakes on 02

gregon2whls

Bav lower control arms are usable on an 02 using the longer drag links, It gives you about 3 degrees neg camber with no ride height adjustment. Pretty radical, but it worked well for autocross. The fun part was when people would see the front wheels, then look for the camber plates that weren't there.

E30 in the back of an 02? Really?

with the price of 02/e21 LSD's reaching silly heights over here, plus the desire to squeeze more and more power into an 02, there are a few people doing an e30 rear end swap on this side of the pond. You weld up the 02 subframe mounts to the e30 beam and get a slightly wider track, cheaper LSD options, disks and strong stub axles in return for some extra weight.

E30 in the back of an 02? Really?

with the price of 02/e21 LSD's reaching silly heights over here, plus the desire to squeeze more and more power into an 02, there are a few people doing an e30 rear end swap on this side of the pond. You weld up the 02 subframe mounts to the e30 beam and get a slightly wider track, cheaper LSD options, disks and strong stub axles in return for some extra weight.

Tell me if I understood you correctly,

You take the 2002 subframe, cut the ends off, then take the E30 subframe, cut the ends off too, then weld the 2002 ends on the E30 subframe.

I suspect you also weld up some sort of mount on the body for the diff... oui?

Pretty much, although I think they don't cut the beam, just weld on a bracket for the 02 subframes bushes/mounts. A guy in London is doing a few on a jig early next month and will be taking a few pics - I'll remind him to post a few here.

Yep, you have to weld on new tabs for the diff mount

Pretty much, although I think they don't cut the beam, just weld on a bracket for the 02 subframes bushes/mounts. A guy in London is doing a few on a jig early next month and will be taking a few pics - I'll remind him to post a few here.

Yep, you have to weld on new tabs for the diff mount

What about springs and shocks? Those won't line up either... which to use... E30 springs are very different and much shorter than 02 springs... unless you go with coil overs but then the shock tower needs reinforcing...

It sounds like a lot of trouble to avoid the cost of an E21 diff... IMO.

What about springs and shocks? Those won't line up either... which to use... E30 springs are very different and much shorter than 02 springs... unless you go with coil overs but then the shock tower needs reinforcing...

It sounds like a lot of trouble to avoid the cost of an E21 diff... IMO.

Not sure, will let you know. Good diffs are going for £500 here, add in the cost of a disk conversion and billet stub axles and you can see there's a huge amount of money to be saved if you have the fabrication skills (and your power output warrants all of the above)