Cali Black Plate Q

tito559

Hello Fellow Members,

Does anyone know the ins and outs of the California DMV policies regarding license plate registration and issue? I recently found the original black California plates behind the white California plates and registration is due by the end of November. The question I have for all of you is...is there any way to re-register my car under its original black California plates by way of paying a fee or loophole of any kind or are the blacks only good for hanging on the garage wall now?

Thanks,

Tito

In California, you can reestablish an older plate a car had as long as:

you have both plates.

You have evidence that the plates belong to that car by form of any DMV paperwork associating the plate to the VIN.

You can install old black plates on a 69 or older car even if they did not belong to that car in the past. Valid for black plates on 69 and older only. You need to show both plates to qualify.

Hello Fellow Members,

Does anyone know the ins and outs of the California DMV policies regarding license plate registration and issue? I recently found the original black California plates behind the white California plates and registration is due by the end of November. The question I have for all of you is...is there any way to re-register my car under its original black California plates by way of paying a fee or loophole of any kind or are the blacks only good for hanging on the garage wall now?

Thanks,

Tito

I was told that I couldn’t keep the old plates of my 74Tii even after showing them the old plates and substantial paperwork . People at the DMV are very inconsistent about their procedures so you have to do your own homework.

In California, you can reestablish an older plate a car had as long as:

you have both plates.

You have evidence that the plates belong to that car by form of any DMV paperwork associating the plate to the VIN.

Yes, but, most DMV workers don't know. It requires a special application, which gets transfered from the local DMV to Sacremento (time). under no circumstances surrender the plates you want to re-establish, you'll never see them again

You can install old black plates on a 69 or older car even if they did not belong to that car in the past. Valid for black plates on 69 and older only. You need to show both plates to qualify.

No, my understanding is that pre '63 cars can be plated with any yellow/black plate(s), but after '63 the plate(s) must have been original to the car

I decided I wanted to use plates that would have been used in 1973 on my '73. Each time I called DMV I got a different answer. I was first told that I had to find a matching pair of retired plates. The first interpretation was that the actual numbers on the plate had to be retired, not just the plate style. This proved to be an impossible task, as the number sequences get recycled routinely. Another call to the state DMV yielded a different interpretation. I finally had a state worker read the policy to me over the phone. It became clear that the policy simply states that the plate style must be retired and that you must run an original matching pair (no reproductions) from the YOM. I was able to buy an excellent pair of appropriate plates in an antique store for $6.00. I was still required to register my car as an antique, buy the designated plates, and keep them in the car with the registration paperwork.

The California situation seems to show different interpretations as well. I'm sure there is a definitive answer, but it isn't helpful to have as many interpretations as there are state employees attempting to provide an answer - which can sometimes work in your favor (wink).

RearCar002.jpg

If you happen to have an old title or registration card with that plate# on it and you have both plates in serviceable condition you can apply to have the plates reassigned to the car using the guidelines outlined in this DMV newsletter. This is supposed to work for ANY plates whether black, blue, yellow, white....... It can turn into a very lengthy process and I have been trying to finalize returning the black plates to my Red for over a year now.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/vin_memos/vin2009/09vin20.pdf

If you have a serviceable set of black or any earlier license plates without matching titles/reg you must go through the Year of Manufacture program (YOM), which you basically assign the plates to the car and pay a yearly fee like that of a personalized plate.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/vin_memos/vin2009/09vin09.pdf

The YOM form is here...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg352.pdf

All the internal DMV memos are called Vehicle Industry News (VIN) and are listed here....

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/vin_memos/vin_top.htm

HTH

I decided not to waste my time dealing with incompetence and went with these replicas instead. Choose the appropriate color,get your license number matched, slap your tags to them and you're done.

http://www.licenseplates.tv/california-147.html

Armond,

Did have your CA "white" plate number (like 5XYZ123) embossed on the blue replica? Have you had any police problems at all? I'm interested in doing this as well. I have the original blue plates (both), but do not wish to go through endless hoops at the DMV to get them re-established in their system.

Thanks,

I decided not to waste my time dealing with incompetence and went with these replicas instead. Choose the appropriate color,get your license number matched, slap your tags to them and you're done.

http://www.licenseplates.tv/california-147.html

Armond,

Did have your CA "white" plate number (like 5XYZ123) embossed on the blue replica? Have you had any police problems at all? I'm interested in doing this as well. I have the original blue plates (both), but do not wish to go through endless hoops at the DMV to get them re-established in their system.

Thanks,

yes..the numbers are embossed. I also asked a couple of my friends in law enforcement and they said they wont bother you as long as the license number matches to your car. Perhaps it could be a red flag to a cop if the plate is obviously fake but these replicas are so well produced that you cant tell the difference.

I am 90% through a plate change for my 67.

Bought a pair of plates off ebay and went to a small town DMV to start the process. The plates were clear in the system and not too ratty to pass the first hurtle. There big hangup was that there was no 1967 sticker on the plate. I said to her that it was probably buried under the thick layers of stickers. But, that is there big passing point with the plates.They informed me to get stickers off e-bay ( thought this was funny !!) Sure enough they were on ebay ( see attached link) got the sticker for $10 bucks- Great seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-california-license-plate-registration-sticker_W0QQitemZ360177913848QQcategoryZ14032QQcmdZViewItem

Visit 2- I had peeled down to the original sticker, Yes it was still buried on the plate. So now they accept the plate. This was in July and still have not yet received there new registration sticker. The YOM registration sticker is different- I will post a picture when I finally get it. Visit 3- I went back last month to ask them where the sticker was - they made a call somewhere and they were getting to it. Still keep waiting for it to come in the mail - But I do have the B/Y plates on the car and a temporary paper reg in the window. So I am real close but.. waiting for the final sticker- I was very happy to surrender the ugly white reflective plate to them.