14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

my trip to chicago....

jakeb

This past weekend my wife and I went to Chicago to visit friends and just have a good time (food and drink).

About 80 miles from home we stopped at a rest area, when we went to leave my car (e46 325xi touring) would not start. This was not something I was all that excited about.

So sitting there all the things it could be were going through my head. it would crank but no start. My first thought was the fuel pump.

So I pulled the rear seat and got to the fuel pump. Wacked on the top of it... The car started a little bit but idled really rough and stalled. So after sitting for a bit more and calling to see if there was a fuel pump local I gave up and called my dad.

He was about 20mins from home but said he would help me out (always does, great guy!!) So he drives home (20 mins), goes and rents a trailer, goes to my sisters and gets her Jeep. My brother in law goes home and helps my dad load the Jeep. My dad then drives down to where my wife and I are stranded.....

While I am waiting for him I decide to diag my car a bit more. I happen to have an extra tail light bulb and a single clip lead wire. So I cut the wire in two....pulled the connection off the fuel pump and connected the clip leads to the fuel pump connection. Wrapped the other end of the wire around the light pump. Then I had my wife turn the key and the light turned on for a few seconds and then back off, it also turned on during cranking. So from that I knew the car was telling the pump to turn on. I plugged the connector back into the plug and turned the key...no sound from the pump.

Now all this didn't help me get home but it at least made me feel better and wouldn't be thinking about it all weekend. So while at the rest area I ordered a fuel pump from Blunt. It was at my door on Monday...20 minutes later the car was running again.