Questions about a 40 DCOE dual set up

So i have just recently purchased a set of 40 DCOE Weber carbs with intake and linkage from a fellow forum member. I had been doing a bit of research prior to my purchase. The research suggets that the upgrade from the 32/36 weber currently on it should be significant, ultimately looking at 130-140hp out put realistically. All proper prep included of course...

I figured to optimize my carbs performance I would, aside from getting them checked outs synced and the sort. Also opt to installing an electric fuel pump delivery system to optimize fule delivery(i know it sounds a bit redundant). But, I was also wondering if upgrading my current Bosch OEM Alternator with a TII unit or the like also improve my chances of increasing HP via proper/ increase spark?

On a similar note, I have also been gathering up the final piece for my exhaust upgrade. currently there is an after market flow-master muffler OEM replacement on the car which is a bit rusted and well over it's life period, with a stock resonator. factory headers too i believe a bit on the rusty side.

I have decided to swap out both the old rusty muffler with an ANSA Aluminized steel sport center muffler, paired with a similar ANSA resonator.

Topped with the Step headers i have just recently refurbished, what would my gains look like? I am positive they would look better then the setup i currently have, but any clues? any one running a similar set up? any input thoughts, etc. would be most helpful links ladi ladi lada la....

TIA

Richard A.

Before hotrodding the motor I would make sure it is in good condition by doing a compression and leakdown test. There was a thread recently on how to do that. Search for compression test.

That will tell you if the cylinders are equal and have reasonable compression (150 psi or thereabouts). The leakdown will tell you if your rings or valves are good.

To get the actual compression ratio, you would have need to have all the engine build specs. You can't really go from PSI to ratio. I guess you can assume it is stock or just a bit higher if the head has been shave a couple of times.

Richard,

I too am converting to 40's after an engine rebuild this winter. Here is a bit of help/direction from Toby in Seattle. See the link.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,348374/highlight,/

It is Delta camshaft. My son lives near there so I can have him do mine, but they said that you can ship them a cam and for the money, I think Toby is bang on. They seem really easy to deal with too.

http://deltacam.com/

HTH

Russ