14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Weber carbs

pjo33us

If I bought a set of Weber carbs on ebay from a different car, what would be involved in setting them up for a 2002 motor? They already need rebuilding and I know that I will need a different manifold, throttle linkage, etc. Is there anything to do internally besides replace all gaskets?

If I bought a set of Weber carbs on ebay from a different car, what would be involved in setting them up for a 2002 motor? They already need rebuilding and I know that I will need a different manifold, throttle linkage, etc. Is there anything to do internally besides replace all gaskets?

The jetting/choke sizes may be way off.... might need to compare the specs to a similar 02 setup and adjust accordingly.

Your post didn't say which Weber you are considering, so I assume you are considering DCOEs. The throttle linkage and manifold are just the beginning of such a conversion. As KFunk mentioned, Webers have many internal parts (jets, tubes, chokes) that have many metered adjustments. This is why Webers are so popular (and perhaps Dellorto even more). You could easily spend over $200 per carb in separate calibration parts to get them to run properly on your car--each model has specific calibrations. And changing any motor specification (camshaft, etc.) again effects the carb setup.

They are 40DCOE s and on Ebay. I was thinking of buying and rebuilding them for a yet to be detirmined 2002 project. It does not say in the listing what car trhey come from. I do know that when my Dad put 45 DCOEs on his Alfa GTV he had to port the intakes on the head to get the manifold opeining to match (from a GTA).

Probalby better off buying a project car with this already done or stick with a downdraft kit.

you should stick with a 32/36 or 38/38 learn all about them get them mastered then you will be ready to gaduate to a set of dcoe's. in other words if you cant even tune a dfav or dgas dont even think about a set of dcoe's just pay the money and have expert tune them in.

Ask for the full model # (for 45's, 45DCOE152 is the model suggested for the 02, not sure of the # for the 40's). This will tell you what transition holes are drilled in the body. Everything else can be changed. Also ask for the #'s of the idle and main jets, the air bleeds, the emulsion tubes, the choke size and the aux venturi. Then you can search the forum and fine out if it is the correct setup. Jets and air bleeds are cheap and will probably have to be changed for your particular motor anyway (cam, compression ratio, header, etc), so I wouldn't be too concerned about them.