cleaning/plating/painting wheels

mikea

I was at local pick'n'pull

there are quite a few 14" alloy wheels i could get of of 3 series

BMW etc.

most look straight, but are ugly, stained etc.

is there some where to send them to have them spruced up?

is this a common remedy?

welcome any ideas

mike

you can do a very good job yourself. If they're just dirty, first try cleaning 'em with wheel cleaner that's meant for painted alloy wheels.

If the paint is faded/gone, scuff 'em up real good with a Scotchbrite pad--or sandpaper if they're really bad--and wherever you sand down to the raw metal spray 'em with some self-etching primer.

Then you can finish 'em with silver (or whatever color you want) spray paint. If you want 'em shiny silver, spray clear over the silver. I've used Krylon "Dull Aluminum" on my factory '02 alloys (they're rough cast, not diecast or machined) and with some Krylon clear sprayed over the silver, they look almost identical to the original finish. If you're doing E30 bottlecaps or BBS mesh wheels, you probably won't need the clear.

Powdercoating looks really nice on wheels--until it chips--which it will when you mount the tires.

cheers

mike

As stated, if you're willing to put some time into it, you can get really good results. Lips can be sanded and polished in combination with painted centers. Duplicolor makes a nice wheel silver as does Wurth. It makes for a satisfying winter project, plus you can say you did it yourself!

post-18945-13667632880055_thumb.jpg

I used the Wurth silver paint and clear on my E30 wheels. (From Bav Auto) I polished the lip first with progressively higher wet sanding paper and flitz. Then masked the lips before painting. Turned out great. Until i decide I wanted some Rota's. Any buyers out there?

Mike

76 Malaga (Molly)