BMW 2002 in the La Carrera Panamericana race

jmon0261

Teryy Sayther races a couple of BMW's

http://www.terrysaytherauto.com/Racing/Diary502.html

I didn't even care to notice who was racing in La Carrera Panamericana until Terry raced the first BMW to enter the event. His team later raced, and subsequiently destroyed, a Neu Klasse 1800. Pretty cool stuff.

Correct me here, though; I thought that La Carrera Panamericana was limited to cars from 1965 and previous.

Terry raced the first BMW to enter the event. His team later raced, and subsequiently destroyed, a Neu Klasse 1800. I thought that La Carrera Panamericana was limited to cars from 1965 and previous.

That 1800 was a local autocross car here in the SF area. It had gone from a family car, to a autocrosser, to a gutted and pimped autocrosser, to...it's end.

The spirit of the New La Carrera was for the original cars to race the event. The original was set as a demonstration that road travel was good in Mexico. The organizers encouraged 4-door family sedans to make it look as friendly and accessable as possible.

The current version of the race encourages original cars to run, but also allows similar cars of the same period to race. There are also other classes for other cars- touring, new, etc...