14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Starter Motor question

MrSharky

Hey now! -

Just a quick (easy?) question about the starter motor. Thinking about replacing it with a new one a precautionary measure. I don't have any reason to suspect it's bad, but I just want Betty to be super reliable - to start every time. To that end, I've replaced the usual suspects with new - battery, plugs, wires, and an alternator is on the short list too.

I'm guessing that the starter is original - and I'm guessing they can go bad. And with my luck, it'll go bad at the worst possible time. I've got all winter to do this while she's in the garage, figure it might be an easy quick project. So - does it make sense to replace it pre-emptively, or should I look elsewhere to spend my $$?

Matt

Nice - see? that's why I come here first. I probably woulda gone and put in an original '02 starter motor.. y'all are the best.

@BD - haven't put in a Pertronix type ignition yet, but that too, is on my short list - IE has a brand new one with an electronic ignitor that I've had my eye on.

Matt

Here's one of my favorites about the 'starter' starts around 2:20

Think the radiator/cooling system is pretty good - that was one of the first things I did when Betty showed up - a flush & fill with official BMW coolant (I didn't want c.d. to scold me) - it stays good & cool, at least according the gauge, and I'm finding that it's actually got pretty good heat too. I'm holding off on doing the radiator until I can get a set of those silicon hoses.

I think I'm going to hold off on the starter motor for now (but when I do, going with the upgrade) Probably go for the new distributor w/ electronic ignition. Thinking this one:

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=ireland&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=493984401&Count2=411124825

for under 200 bucks it seems like a no-brainer. Never replaced a distributor, so I'll research it for a while. You'll all know when I'm doing it. ;)

Matt

Before bucking up for a whole new dizzy, just put in the pertronix.

I could be wrong on this, but the Ireland dizzys are mechanical advance units, suitable for side drafts, or FI conversions. If you're still running the Weber 32/36 or even the dreaded original Solex, stick with a vacuum advance distributor.

I've been having a dizzy debate with myself for years, wondering if the Ireland unit may give me more driveability. I really need a mechanical advance unit with more total adavance to take advantage of the side drafts, as well as the cam... I should just call Jeff and have a discussion about such things.

I'm sure CD can comment on the total advance available from a TII unit versus a vacuum advance, versus the Ireland mechanical advance...

YMMV

BD

Well, if you have an automagic, i'd worry.

A manual can always be push- started.

And +1 on the slow death- even a sticky solenoid can usually

be coaxed to work a few more times

if you whack it.

I'd spend the money elsewhere until I wanted to lose the 8 lbs of old motor.

t

A manual can always be push- started.

Yep, a dead starter won't leave you stranded if you're resourceful. I've even went to an autocross, ran in it, and came back home without having a working starter. I just made sure that I parked on a hill every time.