• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is my weber leaking

qdessa

My carb is leaking and only seems to leak when I press the accelerator enough to engage both barrel.

I have an electric fuel pump that is using a stock ( was on the car when I got it ) fuel pressure regulator that is vacumn controlled.

The same carb was on another engine with a mechanical fuel pump and I didn't notice any leaking.

The car runs good btw.

post-2250-13667632792703_thumb.jpg

I don't have any history on the carb. It was on the car when I bought it about 3 years ago. I put in a new motor from an e21 this year ( hence the electric fuel pump). So a rebuild is certainly something to do.

Just wondered if others had the same symptoms.

Check the shaft for wear. When you open both barrels, the vacuum drops way down and may leak out the shaft opening.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

the mechanical pump changes fuel volume delivered based on engine speed. so as the carb needs more fuel, the pump delivers more fuel. with an electric pump, even regulated, you are getting more fuel than you need, especially at lower rpms. there will be a shut off valve on the carb bowl via the float, but it seems reasonable to think that the electric pump could be putting more pressure on the gaskgets than is necessary.

Jon

My suspicions in order:

Bad pressure regulator - these do fail and can 'overpower' the needle and float at high pressures. Cheap - replace it and make an unknown known.

Worn Shaft Bushings/bent shaft - replaceable, but likely more hassle and expense than acquiring a used 32/36 and rebuilding it.

Improper Float setting - reset.

I doubt it's the base gasket as suggested because the leak appears to be above it.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Looks like mine did before I added the bearing kit to the primary shaft during a complete rebuild..

3aa07dd2.jpg

The seals were shrivled, pathetic little ..things.

b9bd30e9.jpg

f403631c.jpg

b91eefca.jpg

I noticed now that the secondary is looking a bit wet. Maybe time to add these little guys there as well..?

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

the mechanical pump changes fuel volume delivered based on engine speed. so as the carb needs more fuel, the pump delivers more fuel. with an electric pump, even regulated, you are getting more fuel than you need, especially at lower rpms. there will be a shut off valve on the carb bowl via the float, but it seems reasonable to think that the electric pump could be putting more pressure on the gaskgets than is necessary.

Jon

The bowl is vented.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I had hotdog-down-a-hallway throttle shafts, and bought this bearing kit for my primary and secondary along with a rebuild kit, and my god, what a difference. Feels like a brand new carb.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind