14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

OT-06 VW golf

bueller

My mechanic, to his possible chagrin, would be fixing it should the need arise, not a dealer. How's the reliability? I've read the 2.0L could have issues. More investigating. Thanks for the response.

This would be my wife's car---something she can haul 3 kids in plus hockey gear (she's a nanny) in a small radius of town driving. Also, this would be our go-to car for long road trips to Texas so reliability is key.

Matt

I have a 2010 GTI 2.0 turbo.The car is built like a tank and the motor is very smooth and good power thru the range.Had a 2007 same motor,27k on that one w/o any issue.I use the VW as a daily driver and use the 73 2002 quite often as well.Opps sorry the 2.0 from a 2006 is the older 5V design a different mill, with a fair reputation capable of major horsepower .

Jonathan

Ours have been reliable except for constant "air bag light", check engine lights but always have run. My sister has on 08 Jetta. Has left her stranded a few times...My 06 Audi A3 with the 2.0T (same motor basically)has been fast, fun and has had constant issues with check engine lights, this flap, that coil, this that etc etc. Will never buy another one for sure.

Your best bet is to go to consumer guide and check the ratings....that will give you tons of info

for carrying kids, hockey equipment and an over the road car, I've gotta put in a vote for an 06 or later Toyota RAV4 with a V-6. 270 hp, goes like a striped ape and gets high 20s on the highway and low-mid 20s around town. Plenty of room inside, and the back seats fold individually--and perfectly flat. 5 full-sized wheels and tires too (all alloy!)

Find a sports version and get 265/55x18 tires, larger sway bars and stiffer shocks. Handles very well for an SUV and is no larger than an E90 3 series.

32k miles on ours so far with nothing more than oil changes. No recalls on RAVs yet. And used Toyota prices are down due to the hoopla over their recalls so you might find a bargain.

cheers

mike