IE muffler / hanging points--SOLVED

williamggruff

UPDATE 10/25/2010, and an apology to Ireland Engineering

I apologize to Jeff and Jeremy Ireland, and to their employees, for having dragged their good name into this discussion. I was focused on solving what seemed to me, at the time, to be a serious challenge--getting my car ready for the DC Chapterfest this upcoming weekend. In my rush to get info on why I couldn't perform what seemed to be a simple installation, I included too much information in my post, and in doing so, have exposed one of my favorite vendors to public bashing. In my original post, I should have simply asked whether the muffler mounting points on my car were in the stock location, and left the reason for my question out of it. Including IE's name in the post was inappropriate and inconsiderate. For that, I'm truly sorry.

Despite my genuinely moronic treatment of this situation, including discussing this issue publicly rather than dealing solely and privately with IE, Jeff Ireland has responded that he will have the correct muffler sent to me via expedited shipping, leaving IE's offices today, and will send UPS to pick up the original muffler--both at IE's expense. Given that I bought the exhaust system OVER A YEAR AGO, this level of service exceeds my expectations by a large margin.

I've bought quite a few parts from Ireland Engineering since I naively dove into the 2002 rabbit hole about 18 months ago. Each time I've called IE to make some misguided purchase (and I do this far too frequently), I've received excellent technical advice FOR FREE. Each part I've ordered has been shipped on time, and the parts have been of very high quality.

One of my mentors taught me that it is always better to praise in public and offer constructive criticism in private. I broke that rule, and I hope IE doesn't suffer for my poor behavior.

Again, I apologize to Ireland Engineering, and to anyone else who was offended by my post.

With regrets,

Grice

Edited version of my original post:

From these photos, can anyone tell me whether the hanging points in my car are in the stock location?

http://picasaweb.google.com/grice.mulligan/DoTheseMufflerHangingPointsMakeMeLookStocky?feat=directlink

Thanks in advance for your help!

Grice

I feel your pain brother, these are the pix of when I tried installing mine 2.5 years ago.

http://picasaweb.google.com/2002targa/MufflerUpload#5178873078683756802

I'm pretty sure all your mounts are stock, Ireland told me the same thing when I bitched to them "maybe one of the previous owners moved your mounting points".. BS. If you search, there's quite a few threads on this subject. there's no doubt that it's a beautiful system, but the fit SUCKS.

I think I finally just "loosely" got it all together and hung and then tightened everything down (even then, the forwardmost hanger donut is stretched like crazy) after about a week it all settled into where it wanted to so it could rub on the axles in the turns and vibrate on the tranny tunnel on the other turns. The clamps that hold the system together are too big to get enough clamping to hold the pieces in place.

Good luck

TK

Wow I don't even know what to say... but that's way off. The mounts look identical to the ones on my car. The only thing that I would suggest is maybe try to manipulate the forward section a bit to pull it all back or move and fab up some new mounts near the stock ones or try to make some other hangers work. Check around online, there is bound to be something that will isolate the exhaust and locate it in the needed position.

I'm glad to see the fuel tank is in, I hope that it all went ok. Have you installed the seats? That was what I was most worried about, just having to correct height and position and everything else. Hope it all worked out ok.

See ya Saturday,

Chris

Welcome to my world. If thats the "new" version, I see nothing has changed.

It looks to be the side exit mounting point muffler with a center exit tip. Or just plain WRONG... I can't tell from here exactly.

Below is the best reference I have on tap for stock locations on center and side exit exhausts. I adapted a side exit to center for our 76.. At least on the front, you can see how much further to the right the side exit system hanger is..it was on the tail pipe itself.

Hope this helps.

-J

Hangerlocations.jpg

08141710.jpg

Jason,

Many thanks for your suggestion and helpful photos. I have the old kit, purchased over a year ago. I was thinking of relocating the mounts in the car, but relocating the mounting points on the muffler will be far easier. I'll mock up the muffler hanging points this afternoon and hopefully have the muffler in tonight.

Grice

That's interesting, I have one of the new ones and the fitment was just fine. I fit everything loose to start with and snugged it up together. Can't remember if I just had to heat up one of the mounting tabs to turn it a little.

All in all it was pretty straight forward for a 40 year old car.

As I understand you have an 'early' kit (last year) that the mounting points apear to be for an earlier side exit car (it matches up to my system for a '71), wouldn't a later style center exit muffler solve this problem?

---- Have you been in contact with Ireland? What are they going to do? Please keep us all informed as this plays out.