Question on oil

hotsauce

EDIT: Sorry about the engine photo. It's upside-down (the forum did that for some reason...)

Hi there,

I am a relatively new owner of a 1975 2002 (4 months). I have driven it some, but not all that much. The guy I bought it from put over 20k into it. It's really in mint condition.

I need to change the oil. He told me he used a synthetic blend and I can't remember the weight.

So, my questions are:

• *Where can I get the oil filter listed in the pic? Google shows nothing. Or is there a better filter?

• *What weight/brand oil should I use? I'm in Salt Lake City UT, so winter is around the corner. The car will not be driven much at all this winter.

• *Lastly, what is the oil capacity of this engine?

Thanks!

post-18983-13667632712444_thumb.jpg

post-18983-13667632714532_thumb.jpg

My vote is for Valvoline VR1 20W-50 (available in most parts stores, and with high zinc/zddp content that's good for our old style rockers, and is no longer included in most other oils), along with a good german Mahle/Mann oil filter that you can get from Autohausaz.com

If you're stuck with buying from your local parts stores, try to find a Napa Gold/Wix filter, Purolator PureOne, or something of that sort.

any of the parts chains can get Mahle or Bosch- I get 'em from www.fap99.com

I think the Mahle is a better filter, marginally, but the Bosch has an anti- drainback valve.

My personal theory is that the Bosch we get is now Wix, as when you cut

them apart, they appear identical.

Wix makes decent filters, so I'm not complaining.

Oil- hmm, you'll get a lot of answers. Honestly, when it's cool,

I run a 10- 40, and change to 20-50 for hot days or track days.

But ti's not super critical. I do think a synthetic or synthetic blend

will be easier on your cam assembly.

t

20w-50 is the oil you want...I just tried 5w-50...since I am in SoCal the 5w probably will never happen. I used plain old Castrol and changed the oil every 2 months or so...used Mahl filters from Mesa Performance. I have about 3 Fram's or something I got from the Pep Boys 16$ 5 quarts of oil and free filter special. I'll use those only in an an emergency....I was a quart low once on a road trip...couldnt find 20w-50 so I just put in a quart of 10w-40...the car DID NOT like it at all...temps went up and had oil pressure light at idle flickering...changed the oil back to al 20w-50 and all was right again. It seems to me these engines are very sensitive to oil thickness...I know there is a 60 weight oil out there and wondered if I should try it...maybe thats a bit too thick...

synthetic oil, but stayed with 20w-50.

For the first three changes, I used Amsoil 20W-50 "Racing Oil", then switched to Pennzoil full synthetic 15w-50. Interestingly, my fully warmed up engine cruising speed oil pressure went from 45 psi on the Amsoil to 60 on the Pennzoil...

Not sure why, but both oils performed very well...

cheers

mike

My vote is for Valvoline VR1 20W-50 (available in most parts stores, and with high zinc/zddp content that's good for our old style rockers, and is no longer included in most other oils), along with a good german Mahle/Mann oil filter that you can get from Autohausaz.com

If you're stuck with buying from your local parts stores, try to find a Napa Gold/Wix filter, Purolator PureOne, or something of that sort.

This?

http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV211-Formula-Approved-Bottles/dp/B000CCIFQM/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I22HYNV47BZ4YW&colid=2K8909XDRE9PD

You should be fine with four qts. when you change your oil. You made need to add about 1/4 or 1/3 qt. more, but my engines have always just burned up that little extra if I fill to the top line on the dip stick. I don't need to add any oil between 3K mile oil changes with the level right between the 2 lines on the dip stick (engine only has 6K miles on it).

Not sure of the Mahle oil filter in the pic, but it's probably the correct one. You want an OC-25 Mahle filter.

I use 20W-50 Brad Penn oil (Google for it on line), but the Valvoline VR 1 mentioned above would be my next choice.

Bob Napier

This?

http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV211-Formula-Approved-Bottles/dp/B000CCIFQM/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I22HYNV47BZ4YW&colid=2K8909XDRE9PD

Yep, that's it. I usually just get it at Autozone. I think it's close to $4 a quart now. They have synthetic VR1 too, but I've never used it. I'm sure it'd be better if you want to pay for it. My engine is tired and old though, with 2 to 300K miles. I'm tryin to kill it. I'm running unfiltered velocity stacks on DCOE 40s, over-revved it at autocross, ran track days, taken long road trips at high rpm (3.90 diff with 4-speed), etc.

I've been using the regular VR1 primarily for the past 5 years or so. Tried the Castrol 20W-50 and a few others, and it never seemed to do as well. Got dirty quick and valves tapped more, and oil pressure not as good. I don't think I've tried any pure synthetic, since it's more expensive and not worth putting in my old engine. I'd get the VR1 synthetic though if I had a fresh engine...