• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hmmm, what could that new noise be?? BANG. Oh shit...

2002Targa

Luckily it was only a 2 miles from home, friend towed me back. Only had about 30 seconds of playing "what's that noise" before it let loose. Looked in the mirror and saw parts flying, clutch in, coast to side of the road. While waiting for buddy, I walked back to retrieve parts, as soon as I got about 10' away from them I could ID them. Guibo only had about 2.5 years on it too...

So now, i have the exhaust off, lunch break and time to finish.

I probably coulda limped it home, but why chance it. I'm just glad I got off as easily as I did.

Is 1:30 too early to start drinking beer if you're wrenching??

TK

post-67-13667632699249_thumb.jpg

post-67-13667632700517_thumb.jpg

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

Same exact thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, going up the hill about a mile from my neighborhood when I hear a loud ping and a couple clanks. I just cruised home anyways though, hah, replaced the bolt that night and tightened everything up while I was there.

-John

76 Verona 2002

74 Sahara 2002

Not the bolt that came out, but aren't the nuts supposed to be on the flange side so the the rubber is not twisted?

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

My guess would be the nuts and bolts need replaced. One nut came off and the bolt slid out until it lodged against something and caught. Hopefully, there's not damage to the surrounding parts other than the obviously bent support.

(The nuts and bolts are supposed to be replaced every time the driveshaft is removed - but I don't go that far if I know when I replaced them)

yup, one of the nuts backed off and bolt slid back and rat-a-tat-tat. All together again with new nylocks (and a bit of loctite). Now I just need to spend about 3 days getting that stupid IE stainless exhaust lined up all over again. I'd rather change the whole tranny than mess with that thing.

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

Yeah, ok. If the bolt had been inserted in the other direction and the nut backed off, how much of the aluminum tranny housing would it have taken with it instead of mangling/bending the STEEL support bar? I think i'll go with what i have, thanx.

Mine was slightly ticking on on the tranny case before the bolt backed so far out that it began hammering the case. Thankfully the case was just cosmetically damaged. That sound does get your attention though...

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun