14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Hmmm, what could that new noise be?? BANG. Oh shit...

2002Targa

Luckily it was only a 2 miles from home, friend towed me back. Only had about 30 seconds of playing "what's that noise" before it let loose. Looked in the mirror and saw parts flying, clutch in, coast to side of the road. While waiting for buddy, I walked back to retrieve parts, as soon as I got about 10' away from them I could ID them. Guibo only had about 2.5 years on it too...

So now, i have the exhaust off, lunch break and time to finish.

I probably coulda limped it home, but why chance it. I'm just glad I got off as easily as I did.

Is 1:30 too early to start drinking beer if you're wrenching??

TK

post-67-13667632699249_thumb.jpg

post-67-13667632700517_thumb.jpg

My guess would be the nuts and bolts need replaced. One nut came off and the bolt slid out until it lodged against something and caught. Hopefully, there's not damage to the surrounding parts other than the obviously bent support.

(The nuts and bolts are supposed to be replaced every time the driveshaft is removed - but I don't go that far if I know when I replaced them)

yup, one of the nuts backed off and bolt slid back and rat-a-tat-tat. All together again with new nylocks (and a bit of loctite). Now I just need to spend about 3 days getting that stupid IE stainless exhaust lined up all over again. I'd rather change the whole tranny than mess with that thing.

Yeah, ok. If the bolt had been inserted in the other direction and the nut backed off, how much of the aluminum tranny housing would it have taken with it instead of mangling/bending the STEEL support bar? I think i'll go with what i have, thanx.

Mine was slightly ticking on on the tranny case before the bolt backed so far out that it began hammering the case. Thankfully the case was just cosmetically damaged. That sound does get your attention though...