its winter and no heat

PeterCS

I am not getting any heat inside the cabin of the car.

My heat guage shows normal.

Is there a possible air block in the system. If so, do I need to blow the whole system?

Possbile problem with the mechanical heating doors inside?

Help! It is getting cold

Peter CS

Guest Anonymous

coolant flow or poor air flow. Check to make sure that your heater valve is opening to allow coolant to flow through the heater core. If it is not opening then you will have to see if a cable is broken or if not broken, adjust it so that it does open the valve when you move the slider on the dash. Check to see if your heater valve will open when the cable is moved. If not it will need to be rebuilt or replaced. Check to see if the plastic duct tubes are connected to the heater box and the vents. If they are connected, check to see if the air flaps in the heater box are opening when you move the sliders on the dash.

shermanmartinez@hotmail.com

A list for you:

Check the hoses going to and from the heater. Are they warm?

Check the operation of the heater valve to see if the inlet is warm and the outlet is cold. If that's the case the valve may be bad.

Next, raise the front of the car to elevate the radiator higher than the heater box. You can even do this on a steep incline. Sometimes the system gets an air pocket and needs "burped".

If you've had heat, your heater core is probably OK. If not, you could remove the outlet hose and force water through it (hopefully). If it's clogged, you've got the job of removing and refurbishing the entire heater box while it's out.

It is with some embarassment that I noticed afterward that the previous owner disconnected the tubes from the firewall and effectively joined them. As a result, I have wonderful flow - just none going thru the heater core in the car.

The car was previoulsy in CA and is now in Toronto - where heat is needed!

How can I identfy which of the tubes is the inflow vs outflow?

And which of the outlets on the firewall is for the inflow?

Many thanks,

PeterCS

The outlet stub on the back of the cylinder head goes up to the heater valve (inlet to core).

The left (driver's side in most cases) heater core outlet hose connects to the plenum tube running along the side of the engine block.

These hoses are tough to install and might cause the heater valve plastic mount to crack.

Inlet with valve

31409031.jpg

Outlet next to wiper motor

31409035.jpg